Impeller polishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpress165

Reaction score
Anyone have their impeller polished and any shoe work done? Saw a guy on Facebook river rat pump worx that does it. People claim they get 2-3 more mph having it done. Just trying to squeeze anything more out of my 2017 merc 60/40 4 stroke. Thanks!

I've never had it done, but I've read from a few that have that there was no noticeable difference. I can't imagine it would last very long either, especially if you're running in anything sandy. If you're running an aluminum impeller, stepping up to a stainless will get you noticeably better hole shot and an increase of a MPH or two on the top end. Seems to be what most experience going from aluminum to stainless including myself on a 1994 Johnson 50/35.

I've got some magic beans that will give you another 10 mph if you put them in your fuel tank... :twisted:

haha :LOL2: I haven't done it to mine as I figured a really good polishing would be reuined the first time I suck any sand or gravel. I have taken my housing off and used a dremel and 90 deg air grinder with sanding heads to get rid of the bad casting imperfections. I'm sure having a polish job helps some might be good for 1-2 mph. There isn't much you can do outside of it to try and improve that motor other than trying lighten up your boat or load you have in it.

2-3 mph on top... seems to show more at cruise. I had my impeller done by said shop above. 29-30 mph @ 4800 rpm 6.3 GPH, 39.5 WOT 5800 rpm on still water with polished impeller. Merc 80 jet 4S, 17.5 Almar Lite. I have been fortunate to keep it clean so far, I'm sure it won't like any gravel. Don't really plan on looking for any

I'm usually not looking for gravel/sand but my main river when it gets really low late summer/early fall is when smallie fishing is best, and some riffles it's unavoidable to get through sucking up some. Like I said the polishing can help, I haven't bothered with spending the time to do it or spending the money on having a really good job done, but my pump did have some pretty rough casting marks/ridges I smoothed out some to at least get rid of the real stuff that definitely wasn't helping water flow.

Latest posts