Etec 60HO

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanC

Reaction score
I have been on here snooping around for some time learning all I can about outboard jets. I am in the planning stages of a 1852 blazer sport. It is going to be a pretty open boat with a split back bench, rear flip lids, maybe one extra dry box along the side and a 15 inch deck extension. The question I have is about the motors. I have called a few dealers and one has said the Etec is not worth it and the other said it is. I just want some real numbers so I can decide on what I'm getting for my money. I'm not opposed to a 60/40 Merc, I just cant find any numbers or people to ask for real world numbers.
Thanks in advance.

where are you running it? If your running in SEMO and going on the ozark scenic river ways with the HP restrictions the 60ho with a pump is going to be your fastest motor. This is because it's actually the same displacement same three cylinder block as the 75/90hp etec. So it's sold as a 60hp with a jet pump it can be legally titled as a 40hp since the jet makes it a 60/40. But in reality it's a detuned 75/90hp it spins a bigger impeller than the 2 cyl 60/40 etec and 60/40 merc, so it has a lot more oomph despite being considered a 60/40 as well. The downside is expense that's about it. If you want the speed and load carrying capability and don't mind the added cost go for 60ho etec with a jet pump a 60/40 merc, 60/40 two cylinder etec, or 60/40 yamaha won't compare they just can't pump the same amount of water.

Now if your not going to be running rivers with HP restriction just go for the 90/65 etec it's tuned a little hotter the 60ho etec, it uses the same pump however. Or heck go for 115/80 of some kind and go up to an 1860 if you went 115/80.

Thanks for the reply. I am in SW Mo but will go to the current to run some, that's the reason for the 60/40 max.

I'm like everyone else who asks a lot of newbie questions, I want a boat that does it all. Speed is not the most important thing for me, quick on plane and shallow running is. Not to say outrunning my friends 60/40 merc wouldn't be fun. I would even go with a little wider boat to get the draft right. It's going to be a fishing/family riding boat. Hoping the 60 HO would be the motor to jump out of the hole and then back it down saving a little fuel or open it up for fun.

Thinking you would like the 18-56 better! I went with 18-52 and wish a thousand times I’d went 18-56!!!! I’m running the ETEC 115-80 and totally love it! Mines super easy on fuel and jumps right up. I fish lakes 99% of the time. You’ll love the new ETEC 90-60HO.

moelkhuntr said:
Thinking you would like the 18-56 better! I went with 18-52 and wish a thousand times I’d went 18-56!!!! I’m running the ETEC 115-80 and totally love it! Mines super easy on fuel and jumps right up. I fish lakes 99% of the time. You’ll love the new ETEC 90-60HO.
I forgot to state I'm going to run a tiller set up, hoping this will leave the floor open enough to move around like I want.
Your motor will be heavier than the 60 but do you feel it drafts the weight well while just floating.

Sits lower with the 115-80 but from what I’ve heard is that the 18-56 will run shallower even with the 60.

moelkhuntr said:
Sits lower with the 115-80 but from what I’ve heard is that the 18-56 will run shallower even with the 60.
I'm sure your right.
Does anyone have any speed guesses with this motor and a 18/52 and 18/56?

I'd say 34-36mph depending on load and setup, sure some 60/40's are seeing this, but it will beat a 60/40 by far when your loaded down in terms of top speed and time to plane out.

Latest posts