Custom Pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gr8bldr

Reaction score
Looking for some fabrication input. My boat don't need pods, but it could have some advantages. I have always said that if you buy a new boat with pods, you bought the wrong boat. Pods are an addition type thing. You could have bought a boat 2 feet longer. So, I bought the boat I needed, balanced it to let the entire boat float the motor. But, the benefit of slower speed on plane is a big plus. The rear not digging coming off plane. The added flotation in the event of it getting a hole knocked in it. The stability it offers to a transom. Many advantages. Since I like to fabricate things, I think I will add these to my boat. i have purchased the needed sheets of aluminum. I have drew pics of the shape I want. But, i'm still thinking. I don't want to build these and then think, "i wish I would have done this". So, I am adding internal sleeve from top to bottom for pole anchors, if I ever want to use this. I am pitching the rear back slightly, like the transom, parallel to the transom, so that reverse hits might not be as bad. Angling the bottom up about 3/4 so it does not drag on plane. And lining up the bottom transom to give the weld corner some protection. My input needed is in regards to spray deflectors. Or since I have a jackplate that extends the motor back, possibly build the pods as if 1 piece, all the way to protect the lower transom weld, stabilize the transom more, and create a leading edge lip, whatever you call it, the gap between the pods, enough to steer, becoming like a short tunnel. I have even tried to incorporate steer fins, deploy-able rudders, built into the pods to hold the boat straight in current when front anchored. LOL, Better to plan now than later. So, any input appreciated.

You might want to mock 1 up in cardboard. Even better would be to build in plywood & try them out for real. But I am retired & often take the long road.

Don't forget about your transducer, if you run one, and how you'll mount it.

I've had mine on a few years now zero regrets about doing them, I did a full write up on them. They help protect my ducer a lot I mounted my transom bracket I welded on that sits right by my right side pod. So it's in between the motor and inside edge of pod. I welded a pipe to each of my pods for spud poles it's been a great feature to be able to drop a stick it pole through for anchoring in shallow water or when I beach the boat on a gravel/sand bar.

I had custom pods added to my 1654 Tracker Grizzly and they made a huge difference!! My boat was a CC and had a mercury 90/75 jet. The console was towards the back of the boat so I had to load it heavy on the bow when duck hunting to get on step better. I had better performance, handling, drafted shallow, got on step in half the distance as before. Well worth it, when they are built the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts