Yamaha 40/30 4 stroke?'s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbradley

Reaction score
I've PM'ed a few members on here that have or had this motor and asked them about their setups, but haven't gotten any responses. I'm looking to get an Alweld sport jet in .080" or a Blazer in .080" in a 1652 or 1752 rear bench, maybe a split middle bench or full middle bench and no more than a 38" front deck and going to be tiller steer. Trying to keep the boat weight to somewhere between 350 to 390lbs. I've seen several videos and read some post that guys are doing pretty good with this motor on 1652 bare bone hulls, one video even stated that it GPS'ed top speed of 30mph with just the driver. I usually always have two in the boat, sometimes up to four. Is this motor a good fit? I like the fact that it's 40lbs. lighter than the Merc 60/40 four stroke, but don't want to have any regrets....Anyone that's running this motor could you please go into detail about your setup and loads so it'll give me a better idea, thanks!

Not a lot of details, but I'm running a 1648 Tracker GRIZZLY Blind Duck with a 40/30 Yamaha 4 stroke tiller on it. Fully loaded (3 batteries, TM, 6 gal. gas tank, 18# anchor, and a bunch of other stuff) I can get 26-28 mph out of it with just me in it. The Tracker is quite a bit heavier than the 350-390 lbs. you are quoting for the boat weight, so with just you and the lighter bare bones boat you should be able to see 30+ mph with a 40/30 Yamaha 4 stroke.
If you are sometimes going to have 3-4 in the boat I would go with the 60/40 which also has the bigger pump. I'm happy with the 40/30 Yamaha on mine, I've never been on the river with 4 people in it though, usually myself or one other person.
Just remember, the faster you go the harder you hit! :lol:

That’s good speed with that load in your boat. The Weldbilt in the video probably weights 360 lbs. in .080” according to their website. Anybody else running a Yamaha 40/30 four stroke?

My Lowe 1652 is supposed to be around 425 lbs and when I have 2 other people in it, I need the 60/45. When it's just me (which is 95% of the time) I can cruise at a lower rpm but I'm sure a 40/30 would work for 1 person. The extra 40 lbs is worth it for the extra power (and larger pump) especially if you will have 2 (or more) other people most of the time. How far do you normally run from the ramp? If weather rolls in and you have 2 extra people and the 40/30, will you be able to make it back to the ramp in time?

I've never been in a boat with a 40/30 jet, but I have been in my buddy's Alweld 1852 sport jon .080" with a Merc 60/40 and it does great, even with four average size guys. Was just trying to save some weight on the motor and I'm not wanting an 1852, I'd like a 16-1752 in .080" which won't be much lighter. I've now seen online that Mercury now has a new tiller for their motors and it's sweet looking. It's not the BIG tiller either that they've had for some time now, so with that being said I believe it'll be the Merc when I get one.

I wouldn't advise a 40/30 and 1652 for four guys, two guys it's fine, but if you go out with four with any regularity you will be disappointed. Honestly if you want to go with four guys sometimes and by yourself at times an 1852 and 60/40 is a good combo. Not too big to handle on your own, will get up and go 30mph or just over with you loaded light, it will work with four guys in it probably still do around 24mph with four guys in it. The 1852 will plane out a heavier load quicker than a 1652 with the same motor cause is displaces more water and will draft less. The weight savings of the 40/30 and 1652 will be negligible. There is a reason 1852's with a60/40 are so popular in mo, the hp restrictions on rivers dictate 40hp engines must be used, and a light 1852 blazer or alweld or whatever make works well with a 60/40. It's big enough for few people and moves with a 60/40 as good as anything can with a 60/40. A 1752 or 1652 with a 60/40 when loaded light and just one guy will be marginally faster on top, but once loaded up the 1852 planes out easier and up top with a load they run about the same 1652 vs 1852 that is with the same engine.

Appreciate your insight. Your remarks echo about 90% of everything I’ve read or been told.