• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Is my boat priced right?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseverns

Reaction score
I have a 1977 Lowe 1542 flat bottom. This boat has a new transom wood, floor, livewell, pod style seats, storage in front, front navigation lights, fog lights up front, bilge pump, and 12 volt plug in front. All wired to switch panel. Trailer has new hubs, new tires, new LED tail lights, and new bearing buddy's. Boat needs a little love but can be use right now. Boat is registered till June 2016 trailer will come with a bill of sale and can be registered as a homemade trailer. $700 OBO for boat and trailer.

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 4,365
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 4,365
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4,365
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 4,365
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4,365
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 4,365
Only issue IMO is the trailer. At least in IL, the DMV hassles the hell out of people trying to title trailers that are not currently registered.
So much so that I will never buy another trailer that is not currently registered or new. Hopefully in AR it is easier.
Tim

Z
I would of paid that when I was lookin for a boat, seems reasonable.
I lucked into a 1994 SmokerKraft 1672 jon boat with rough trailor
for $550.

Steve A W

I agree with earl-just went through a hassel to register a trailer in n.y.
owner had no registration and the vin ( on a sticker 30 years old was faded)
could not be read.

wouldn't do it again either

kevin

In Arkansas is it really easy to register a trailer as homemade. the only problem people have is boat not being registered. This boat is registered and tagged till June 2016 only cost a few dollars to switch owners name. so with that being said am I asking to much for it.

If the trailer was registered, in my neck of the woods, that'd be a steal. Since it it so easy to register it, why not get it done? That would make it that much more attractive to a potential buyer.

JMHO.

Well I'm not terribly far from you so I'll throw in my .02. It sounds like your trailer is in pretty good shape, but in all honesty it's looking pretty rough with all that rust showing. And looks count for a lot more than you might think. I'd invest in a couple of cans of Krylon satin black and a roll of masking tape and go to town on that trailer. Another thing to consider is that winter is fast approaching.

Faded stickers...

I made calls to various agencies trying to find out requirements for trailer ID stickers. As it turns out, after all the information was in, these mandated VIN ID stickers are required to be "permanent". The definition of permanent is the surprise here. Permanent is defined as 7 years.

Go figure.

I got this information from an old timer at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA).

On the upside, I have found that some of the trailer manufacturers are willing to REPLACE faded stickers. Certain conditions need to be met and rules followed, of course.
Shoreland'r is one fine example of progressive customer service. They have helped me to renew the correct numbers on more than one trailer whose sticker had faded out. Evidence needed to be supplied as to legal ownership and original ID number. Pictures were required to attest to trailer structure. A small fee was charged as well. They have seen the problem and provided a solution.
EasyLoader scoffed at me right on the phone. EasyLoader trailers have lost value in my eyes. As a buyer I don't think I'll get any help if the sticker is illegible...
Karavan is another good company when you need to resolve a faded sticker problem. They have a good online parts system too, last time I used it.

The state of CT requires a VIN check for registration of out-of-state trailers. In the absence of a legible ID number they will assign on and apply it to the trailer. One inspector put the sticker on the winchpost before I could stop him. I didn't think that was too bright of him. Maybe he had other things on his mind.

By far the most important thing I have learned: Get PROPER paperwork or don't hand over the money. If someone says they'll get you the paperwork later...they won't. The money is already spent and the trailer is out of their yard. Why should they bother.
Whatever the trailer seems to be worth...it is scrap value without the paperwork.

Not a bad price,I found a 1548 (Lowe) in Jan. for 400 but had issues under foam in the transom bilge area temporary fix with epoxy,Yours seems like would make a cool project.Hows the catfishin around White hall?

My experience only:

Ain't nothing like fresh paint to make wallets open more quickly.

Get some implement paint and do the interior, and then as suggested, some black or grey spray for the trailer and you will grease the skids to the sale.

$25 of paint can add $100 to the selling price. Folks want crisper looking boats...whether it makes a real difference or not.

Best wishes.

Jon boats need to look plain IMO. The buyer sees a custom boat like that and think it could have been done better or doesn't trust the craftsmanship. They see a stock looking boat and start imagining what they can do to it.

Latest posts