Dents

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregsfan

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1988 Gregor 12 footer. There are a few shallow, but sharp dents in the hull. Any tips on banging out aluminum. I’ve heard it can crack. Does heat help? Thanks.

It's hard to say what to do.Can you post pics?Heat may do more damage depending on where these dents are.Cracks are another issue.There is concerns of cracking if the dent is deep and creased.

It depends on how much heat you apply to the boat. You can anneal the metal, which will give it elasticity, however too much heat can fatigue it as well.

river_wolf said:
It depends on how much heat you apply to the boat. You can anneal the metal, which will give it elasticity, however too much heat can fatigue it as well.

And in my past experience, aluminum doesn't turn red to let you know it's heated sufficiently....................it just kinds melts if heated too much.

Thanks, guys. Since the dents in question are above the waterline, I'll pass on pounding them out. The rest of the hull is pretty straight. According to Gregor's web site, the hull sides are .063" and the bottom is .080. Pretty tough stuff.

Latest posts