Steelflex question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elopomorph

Reaction score
I have seen discussions on how steelflex seals the hull. Does it also protect the hull from scrapes? I am considering using an aluminum boat in waters with very sharp and jagged oyster bars. The oyster bars scratch the fiberglass boats. I would like to learn some opinions on how steelflex can reduce damage from oyster bars.

elopomorph said:
I have seen discussions on how steelflex seals the hull. Does it also protect the hull from scrapes? I am considering using an aluminum boat in waters with very sharp and jagged oyster bars. The oyster bars scratch the fiberglass boats. I would like to learn some opinions on how steelflex can reduce damage from oyster bars.

The stuff is like rock, I am sure over time there will be some wear ansd tear but in the time I've used it Steel flex has been awesome and has protected the bottom of my boat with limited scratches and nicks. Youll see right away when the stuff sets that it's real deal.

dyeguy1212 said:
Plus its super slick, which makes loading and unloading effortless, almost dangerous (from what I've heard). :lol:

It is slick, but it isnt so bad that I am worried about it falling off. But it is much slicker than the rivets.

I would call and talk to Jerry at Fasco. I found out about this product from reading on here. I called Fasco, made my order and then transfered to Jerry. He kows everything there is to know about his product. He told me under normal use this product will last a lifetime, and all you have to do is sand surface with 60grit sand paper for prep. I got my gallon with Gray color added shipped to San Antonio, TX for 62 bucks!

Side note, there is 2 different types of steel flex, super slick and normal, normal can not be sprayed, super can be, normal is like 48.00 Gal, and super is 96.00 gal...

Bugpac said:
Side note, there is 2 different types of steel flex, super slick and normal, normal can not be sprayed, super can be, normal is like 48.00 Gal, and super is 96.00 gal...

IMO if you are going for speed and have a LARGE HP motor, then get the teflon. If not, then don't get the teflon because the difference is marginal.

ober51 said:
Bugpac said:

IMO if you are going for speed and have a LARGE HP motor, then get the teflon. If not, then don't get the teflon because the difference is marginal.

I agree, I went the normal route myself...

Dont add ground rubber, this weakens the epoxy. YOu dont want it weakend and it also will stop the boat from sliding over rocks and limbs.

I used 36 grit to grind the hull with, I also bucked all the rivets and then hand sanded around then, applied a bit of epoxy on each and every rivet.

Then applied Steel Flex to the whole bottom of the boat.

It is totally sealed and not a leak anywhere.

I fish White River in Arkansas and the river level can be low and draggin rocks now to 12 feet deep in an hour, and there are limbs and trees also in the water and I slide right over those like glass, no more like greased goos poop, I mean its awesome wish I had done this three years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure and mix the Steel Flex well, the more you stir it the better it will be, when you think its mixed well mix another ten minutes.

I used a small cheap brush to appliy it with and my boat is 22 feet long and 34 inches wide . ONLY APPLY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOAT!!!! Someone in another post mentioned on the inside, hell man you will not be able to stand up in the boat.

JOhn

I used it on the inside top edge of my boat, It only has a 30 minute or so pot life, I wouldn't mix another 10 minutes... :) maybe like 2 more... :)

at 75F I had about one hour of pot life. Applied it with a 23 inch wide paint brush, SS was set and not tacky in 2 hours and overnight I think I could have put it onthe trailer but I allowed it to set in the sun another day.

So it was perfectly set when I put the boat on the trailer and man did it slide on easy.. My bad back and the boat slid right on the trailer without an effort.

I am sure if the temp was 10F warmer at 85F the SS would have set a lot quicker. thats how epoxies work the the warmer to a point the faster they set and a few degrees makes a big difference. the night were down to 55F when I worked my river boat over. If I had one of the glass river boats I would still use SS onit!!

I did mine at 90 degrees on the trailer, potlife was about 30 minutes, Also if you dump it out of the cup it last a lot longer... Has less pot life in a large quantity... Some great stuff indeed...

Fsco Unlimited is the company that sells it. They have a website, but don't do any business on it. you have to call, make order, and then send then a check or money order via mail. They also do COD, but it is $9 extra.

Honky Tonkin said:
Fsco Unlimited is the company that sells it. They have a website, but don't do any business on it. you have to call, make order, and then send then a check or money order via mail. They also do COD, but it is $9 extra.
taxidermist said:
https://www.fascoepoxies.com/
thanks guys!

Latest posts