Best way to fix a leaky boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassbandit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and just want to say that this site is awesome! I need some help right out of the gates though. I just got my first aluminum boat its a 1965 Duracraft bass & ski 16'. I have completely torn the boat apart in hopes to build it up again. My first goal is to patch all the leaky spot on the boat. I have examined the bottom and have found spots that previous owners have actually used fiber glass to patch a few small gashes in it. Also it looks like there is a number of rivets that have had silicone put on them to stop them from leaking. There has been some silicone placed down the spine of the boat (exterior) as well. On the transom sits a 70hp outboard motor. Now this is oversize for that boat but has been on it for about 15 yrs. There seems to be a re enforcement plat on the exterior that looks like it is leaking around that and from the bolts. I think that fixing the leaking transom will be my biggest challenge. I will attach some pics later to help show what I am talking about. I have heard of a product called gluv it and of course marine grade jb weld. Also want to know the bet way to prep the area i am fixing for the ultimate seal. Please let me know what you think. Thank you

Pictures will give people a better understanding of whats going on.
Welcome to the site.

I would rebuck the rivets,cut a patch out of aluminum,seal the patch with 3M 5200 marine sealant,rivet the patch over the holes, and seal the hull with steel flex.You will never regret using steel flex.Prep work in the key to getting it to seal the hull.

ben2go said:
I would rebuck the rivets,cut a patch out of aluminum,seal the patch with 3M 5200 marine sealant,rivet the patch over the holes, and seal the hull with steel flex.You will never regret using steel flex.Prep work in the key to getting it to seal the hull.
x2

If steel flex is the same as what we call pig puddy that is the only way to go. Once this stuff hardens you can drill and tap it. That's some tough stuff.

fugeman said:
If steel flex is the same as what we call pig puddy that is the only way to go. Once this stuff hardens you can drill and tap it. That's some tough stuff.

Steel Flex is likely different, it's made for jon boats and air boats from Fasco Epoxies in Florida. It's really a great product. Where do you get pig puddy?

It's a 2 part puddy like playdo type stuff. It comes in a cylinder type shape and is light gray on the inside and dark gray in the middle. You pinch however much you need and mend it until it is one solid color. put it where you want it and work it into cracks, holes, whatever. Dries in just a few hours and is as hard as a rock.

https://www.hemmingsdiy.co.uk/quickste.htm

Latest posts