Transducer Problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fugeman

Reaction score
Can't get my transducer to read through the hull or on the right side of the transom. I've got it mounted so that it is always under water but can't figure out why it won't read. Also I can't get my boat to trim no higher than just a few inches. It starts porpoising before I can even get half trimmed out. It's got a whale tail on it but still does it. I've heard that is was because most all tin boats have a slight upper roll on the bottom of the boat right before it meets the transom. My boat is an 18 foot PolarKraft with a 60 horse Yamaha. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the site.
Do you have an aluminum through hull transducer?
I know they make them but the regular ones won't shoot through aluminum hulls.
Sorry can't help you with the trimming.
Just wondering though...I thought pople "trimmed" to help stop porpoising?

Thanks guys. I may need to get a thru hull transducer. The one that I have may not be that. By the way I have an 18 ft. aluminum PolarKraft.

Do you have the trim all the way down when taking off? You should and once you plain out, bump the trim up a little at a time until it starts porpoising. Then trim it down until it stops. That will give you your best performance.

If you are mounting it on the outside of the transom, make sure it is not behind a keelson/rib or it will get covered with turbulance.
Most installation manuals come with a guide you cut out that shows optimal depth below hull and angle.

I just put a set of Nauticus smart tabs on my boat and it REALLY helped with the porpoising. It planes so fast, planes at a lower speed and rides so much smoother. They really are amazing. I'm still playing with transducer locations myself.

Tom

fugeman said:
Thanks guys. I may need to get a thru hull transducer. The one that I have may not be that. By the way I have an 18 ft. aluminum PolarKraft.

Factory transducers can be used as thru-hull on fiberglass boats with the proper prep, but 99% of the time they will not work through aluminum.

There is a transducer out there named the Alumaducer that is specially designed to shoot through aluminum.

fugeman said:

Pics? I have a 16' PolarKraft myself..

Thans guys. I will try these things out.

Hey Bugpac, my digital camera is broke but when we do get another I'll post some pics. Where did the name Bugpac come from? You wouldn't happen to be a vw man would you?

If you are looking for the alum. shoot thru hull transducer, you might want to check out Vexilar.com they have them, and looks like a fairly good price to me. They come with a short cable adapter for various types of locators. Its easy to check on their site to make sure it will work on your locator

rebg38 said:
If you are looking for the alum. shoot thru hull transducer, you might want to check out Vexilar.com they have them, and looks like a fairly good price to me. They come with a short cable adapter for various types of locators. Its easy to check on their site to make sure it will work on your locator

Thanks. Will do.

fugeman said:
Thans guys. I will try these things out.

Hey Bugpac, my digital camera is broke but when we do get another I'll post some pics. Where did the name Bugpac come from? You wouldn't happen to be a vw man would you?

For a bunch of yrs... My last ride was this, Sold it just a month or so ago....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2lE_Me9fT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-0WwqXPxc

Attachments

• 151 [640x480].jpg
    151 [640x480].jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 688
  • 153 [640x480].jpg
    153 [640x480].jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 688
  • 012 [640x480].JPG
    012 [640x480].JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 688
Bugpac said:
TrackerTom said:
That's cool.

It is cool until it breaks... :mrgreen: That's why I Sold it.. Figured it would be harder to break the boat, But you never know i guess...

I know what you mean. I should have shown you more about my old race truck. It tore up all kind of parts. Something about 1300HP in an old farm truck that does that.

I took the boat up and tested it some more this evening. I think you will be surprised how much better it rides with the smart tabs. Looking forward to us getting out again.

Tom

TrackerTom said:
Bugpac said:
TrackerTom said:
That's cool.

It is cool until it breaks... :mrgreen: That's why I Sold it.. Figured it would be harder to break the boat, But you never know i guess...

I know what you mean. I should have shown you more about my old race truck. It tore up all kind of parts. Something about 1300HP in an old farm truck that does that.

I took the boat up and tested it some more this evening. I think you will be surprised how much better it rides with the smart tabs. Looking forward to us getting out again.

Tom

Im ready...

Latest posts