What would you do

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugpac

Reaction score
What would you guys do with this boat? Deck it high, deck it low etc etc?

Suppose to pick this up on a trade Sunday...

Attachments

• oldboat.JPG
    oldboat.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 481
  • oldboat2.jpg
    oldboat2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 481
I was thinking delaminate the top section from the bottom, dig out all the garbage, cut the top section down and build a deck perimeter, and set the top back in and deck off the edge i installed.... add a live well, some paint, carpet etc...

14', the tri hull should be very stable correct, I think it is about 48" bottom, I wouldnt deck to the top just higher than the oem floor, maybe like 10" from the top? enough for some storage and a live well in the bottom...

Get rid of the foam and old wood stringers.Inspect the inside of the hull for delamination and blistering.If everything is sound,rebuild.I wouldn't go any higher than the ridge down the side of the boat.You could use that ridge to support the edges of the wood decks.

I do fiberglass repairs for a living so take my advice for what it's worth to you.

First The rotten stringers need to be replaced. But in order to lift the floor you will need some sort of support for it. You could do that with the stringers, by making them taller, or you could build your stringers and then add supports on to them.
Now if your really wanting to make storage i would suggest laying a floor in at the same level as it already is and then building up from there supports to put your raised floor on. This would give you more strength and would provide a good base for the bottom of your storage compartments.
However this will add some weight. So you could only put a bottom to the compartments where they are needed and just make sure that where your going to add the new deck that you grind the side of the hull and glass the floor to the hull. This will keep the flex down and make it stronger.

I could type for a long time and never say everything that I want to, but this should give you some ideas.

Now mind you that I did forget to mention the first thing that I would consider doing.

You have no idea how stable this boat will be with the raised deck. So I would devise a plan where I got a piece of plywood (3/4) and cut it to fit on the lip your wanting to put your deck on and take it to the lake and stand on this and see how stable it really is before I did anything.
That way you have some idea if you need to go any further or not.

I would fix it back up like it was, maybe extend the front deck a little bit & add a storage box & livewell along the sides.

I'm with huntinfool, strip it down and rebuild from the bottom up. It is also easier to make bottom repairs while it is striped if any are needed.

As far as rebuilding the decks; it looks like I would keep 'em at about the same height, making allowances for battery storage, fuel storage and maybe some dry storage. But, I am a crappie fisherman and most of my time is spent with rods in holders either straightlining or spider rig trolling, so I like a little higher sides for mounting rod holders, lantern holders and stuff. Plus I like to put my feet up while I'm seated. :mrgreen: Looks like a good platform for whatever you want to do. It will be a lot of work, but when you get done it will be a better than a production boat and be exactly how you want it.

I think I will rebuild to what it is, I am just gonna fix her up to resell, I got everything for a complete boat now, should make someone a nice affordable lake ready boat...

Latest posts