Boats: Its a Buyers Market in Some Places

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlF

Reaction score
I keep torturing myself by boat hunting before I have the money to buy.
The worst part is that I am finding tons of deals & steals.
In parts of the country hardest hit by the bad economy, its definately a buyers market.
If you are looking for a boat and dont mind traveling, look in the Detroit metro craigslist and the one for south Florida.
There are anywhere from 90-300 new listings each day. They are loaded with steals.

Dang, waiting until spring is going to kill me.
I really need to just stop looking until March. :(

one advantage of buying a boat from up here is we have lots of water but we also have winter, most people up here only use their boats 5-6 months out of the year. lots and lots of clean, low hour boats going for good prices.

I don't think spring prices will be so nice. I was looking from February on. Took 1.5 months to find the boat for the $ I wanted. Now there are 10 at that price in Milwaukee. Might be the economy or might be timing.

But that being said, I have a buddy that lives in Detroit... He could use it for the rest of this year with his kiddos and then I could go pick it up winter.... but how many boats does one guy need?

I've got two siblings around Detroit, I am leaning towards buying one from up there for a number of reasons: No saltwater. Not used all year. And there are tons of semi-v's like I want.
Down here, you have to look for salt intrusion & corrosion, they get run all year and semi-v's are scarce.

I am in SW Florida and there are a ton of jon boats that are for sale, very reasonable. I paid 150 for a 12' Polar Kraft 1257 and found a 16' trailer a week later for 80. If somebody is patient and does not mind a drive the boats are here. Tampa and the surrounding area is good also.

Latest posts