New member, first tin boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownSouthGaBoy

Reaction score
This is my first tinboat. Hoping to do well with it. Got it for $250 with the trailer and a whole pile of stuff for it. One of the previous owners had tried to construct storage along the sides and put a floor in it but half assed the construction. Fortunately though he used aluminum sheets and angle to build them, so i have a bunch of aluminum to use in my remodel. Also came with steering console and controls, anchor, and aerators. Never took pics before I started but figured I would get some before I got too far in, so here it is stripped of the floor, front deck and storage, back to basic. Also stripped the trailer painted it, replacing safety chains, trailer jack, bunks, lights, etc...

ok im gonna try this again...

Here's the boat....

100_1682.jpg

100_1684.jpg

Here's the trailer...

100_1678.jpg

100_1677.jpg

And the stripped junk...

100_1685.jpg

Looks like a good start to your project. I don't know if MonArk had dealers in my area because I have never found any used ones for sale. They seem like good boats from what I can tell.

I like the last picture. Anyone remember the Simpson's where Homer tries to make a back yard BBQ? It ends up looking a lot like that last pic. I especially like the motor in the wheelbarrow...

Here's a diagram of my plans for the boat.

diagram.jpg

I'm gonna have three seats in it, one on the front deck, one in the middle on a short pedestal, and one on the rear bench. The one on the rear bench I am going to use the moveable pin base for and put two mounting plates on either end of the rear bench so I can move it to one side for steering, or the other for fishing. Also had to put in plenty of cup holders ! (LOL) Storage in the rear is for fuel tank and whatever else. I am mounting two batteries under the front deck up against the sides so I will still have some storage there too.

too bad you didn't snap a pic before you took out the storage. The framing looks like its well constructed. What was wrong with it?

If you move that pin base all the way over to the side next to the steering console won't you be limited in fishing area? Maybe put a base at the console and one in the center so that you can fish on both sides?

The framing wasn't the problem, that's why its still intact. The problem was that nothing was even or straight, and all the aluminum sheet was cut REALLY badly. There were gaps all over the place. The hinges didnt line up so when you opened the lids they would distort badly.

I may wind up modifying the frames slightly to suit my needs and reuse them.

The floor they put in was an aluminum sheet with foam under it. It would have been a good idea if,
#1- the foam had been closed cell (they used regular styrofoam, 1st rain and it was waterlogged adding possibly an extra hundred lbs or more to the boat)
#2- the floor was properly supported and flat (they just screwed it to the ribs in about 8 spots and it was bent in a slight V shape)

I am still thinking of other ways to lay out the rear bench. I want the livewell back there but still want 2 position seating. I may have to put one mounting plate on the livewell lid and brace it real well.

Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions for consideration. I am always open to ideas.

welcome aboard bro! dang dude that is one heck of a deal! the trailer looks solid with no rust and i steal can't believe you got that wide of a boat for $250. Nice job man. My first mod was a monark and it was a very good boat!. should work out nice.

One quick thing: Before you permanently mount your front deck, take it out on the water and make sure it is not too high. Someone told me to do that with my first one and I didn’t listen. worst mistake I made.

Yeah it was an awesome deal. The guy posted something like this:

14' aluminum jon boat for sale, about 5 ft wide, $250.

So I called not really expecting him to have it, but he did. I took my truck out there hoping the boat would fit in the bed because the ad said nothing about a trailer, and I figured for $250 there wouldn't be one anyway. But to my surprise, it was sitting on one. So I asked if the trailer went with it and he said yes. We aired up the tires and i paid the guy and pulled it home about 25 miles. The trailer pulls really nice too, no sway, wobble, or bouncing.

The trailer actually folds in half where the tongue meets the frame at the first Y. Somebody had bolted on a frame that had flat diamondplate on either side about 1 1/2' by 4' and had side bunks and rollers with tail lights on posts. I liked the side bunks and rollers, but not enough to keep the huge, heavy( about 150-200 lbs) frame on it.

Here's what the frame loked like...

100_1688.jpg

The front deck is only going to go from the front of the boat to about 3 1/2 feet back and the seat is going to be mounted directly to the deck with a swivel mount, not a pedestal. I figure that should definitely be low enough. I have never really liked sitting up high when i fish. I just like to prop my feet up and kick back.

The one in the center of the boat will be on a pedestal that is about 15" high. This height puts the seat cushion just a little higher than the top edge of the boat sides. That is enough for me to be comfortable if I decide I need to sit in the middle and spin around.

And the rear seat will obviously be mounted to the rear bench. So the highest thing in the boat will actually be the top of the steering wheel when you fold the seat backs down.

Jeez, your whole boat project dissapeard from my mind when I saw that drawing you did.
Amazing.
Are you giving lessons? :wink:

Is that program you are using a free download? Maybe an old Fart can still learn something new with a program like that :p

That deal is UNBELIEVABLE!!! SERIOUSLY... What did you pay? That is Freakin SWEET. And yes I HAVE seen the Simpsons episode where he builds the grill... Best part? When he Freaks out And JAMS the UMBRELLA in with a WAR CRY! Was that before or after he cries while exclaiming "Why doesn't mine look like that?" while looking at the box? HA HA HA! GOOD TIMES!!! BEST of Luck, Mon Ark made a GOOD product. What size outboard is in the pile?

Latest posts