First OB

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VBTravisD said:
Ahhhhhh! :shock: I wonder how hard that seal is going to be to replace... or purchase even!?!?!
I don't think I would worry about either of those dilemmas. The seal isn't your problem. Those are exhaust holes (on some motors, both for cooling water and exhaust - others just for exhaust - I'm not real familiar with eskas). Without looking at it closely, it could be one of two things. It could be merely mud from the cooling passages. If the motor was run in shallow water, and sucked up mud, it often dries during storage, and it took you running it to flush it out. Or, it could be unburned 2 stroke oil. Often times, carburated two strokes won't burn all the way at low RPM's, and will spit out what is left. Usually, it takes a little while for this to run all the way down, so it isn't noticeable until after the motor is shut off. Also, if your motor hasn't been used in a while, I imagine there is build up from old fuel residue, that could also exit at this point.

Those little holes are in no way connected to the lower end lube. Think about it - those holes are underwater, so if they were connected to the gear lube, it would leak out, and replace with water. You have to have a heavily cracked gearcase housing to see gear lube out of those - I personally have never seen that, as they don't usually crack up there, but further down, instead.

One interesting tidbit about those motors is they are both air and water cooled. A "conventional" outboard circulates lake water through the entire powerhead for cooling. On your motor, the powerhead is air cooled, much like a lawnmower. The exhaust housing is water cooled. Your motor will have a very similar water pump as a conventional motor, but instead of circulating through the whole motor, it merely runs through the midsection, cooling the exhaust passage. You shouldn't run that (or any) outboard out of water. While it won't overheat the motor in the short time you run it, you very likely will melt the little rubber impeller. Mere seconds can toast one of those.

THE MAIN SHAFT FROM THE ENGINE TO THE LOWER UNIT HAS A SEAL THAT SEALS LOWER UNIT OIL IN THE CASE IF THAT SEAL IS BAD IT WILL COME OUT OF THESE HOLE DO THE RESEARCH I DONT THINK A 7 HP HAS A PUMP [-X [-X

1436delta said:
THE MAIN SHAFT FROM THE ENGINE TO THE LOWER UNIT HAS A SEAL THAT SEALS LOWER UNIT OIL IN THE CASE IF THAT SEAL IS BAD IT WILL COME OUT OF THESE HOLE

Alright, I see what your saying now. You mentioned "main shaft." I read it as "prop shaft." My apologies there.

DO THE RESEARCH I DONT THINK A 7 HP HAS A PUMP
As mentioned, I'm not an Eska guy - just happened to know that little tidbit from an Eska 7 hp I almost bought earlier in the year. Just for kicks and giggles, I did the research, and found that some Eska motors didn't have a pump, just a tube that stuck into the water, and used the boats speed to push water up the motor. From the pictures I found, that motor looks like ones I've seen with a pump.

Without being there to touch, smell, taste the leakage, etc, it is impossible for me to tell what it is. I'm still doubtful as to the idea that the oil is gear lube, especially when it was pointed out that the motor was not run in water. I could be wrong. But, that looks much more like crud that would come out of a motors powerhead after sitting, than brand new gear lube.

With the color of the oil that is coming out it looks like it has been mixed with water. Is that common? Also if the seal was bad there would not be the light color oil right. I have a small evinrude that seeps out where the lower unit comes together and it is the dark color, I thought that my problem was the seal.

hamar507 said:
With the color of the oil that is coming out it looks like it has been mixed with water. Is that common? Also if the seal was bad there would not be the light color oil right. I have a small evinrude that seeps out where the lower unit comes together and it is the dark color, I thought that my problem was the seal.

Here is a picture of unburned gas/oil/carbon exiting out on a 1988 Evinrude 4 deluxe.
HPIM0642-2.jpg

Clearly looks like something to worry about, but in reality, it is nothing.

Thanks again bassboy, you saved me a part of my Sunday afternoon. Just a shame that that will end up in a body of water. Mine is not leaking nearly as bad as the one in your photo.

bassboy1 said:
Without being there to touch, smell, taste the leakage, etc, it is impossible for me to tell what it is. I'm still doubtful as to the idea that the oil is gear lube, especially when it was pointed out that the motor was not run in water. I could be wrong. But, that looks much more like crud that would come out of a motors powerhead after sitting, than brand new gear lube.

Sorry, I with held info. I did stick it in a big trashcan I filled with water and ran it once... The fluid is fuel with a bit of mud in it.

VBTravisD said:
The fluid is fuel with a bit of mud in it.

Then, it is a good thing it is coming out, not bad. It is merely cleaning out the insides. A good decarb with Seafoam, or just mixing some seafoam in with each tank will be beneficial.

sounds like a good deal but if the only problem is the shifter handle then i cant figure out y it woud only be 100$ sounds fishy make sure you hear it run before you buy it and you could use vice grips as a temporary solution for the shifter handle if you buy it

I know he went with the Eska, but I have to remark on the GameFisher. I owned a 15 horse for ten years never having a problem. They are good motors as long as you take care of them. They are getting harder to find parts for but not impossible.

Latest posts