Fuel mixture for Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamar507

Reaction score
Took my tinboat out today and noticed alot of fuel/oil smoke coming out of my 6 hp Evinrude. It is an older motor and has recenly all been re-done. My question is with a 50 to 1 fuel mixture is that too much? Could it be reduced to say 45 or 40 to 1 and not affect the motor. I use a Yamalube 2 stroke oli recommended by the mechanic and the fuel was fresh.

I have messed with the lean/rich knob and the motor runs great, is this something that is common in the older Evinrudes. The motor is a 1976. Thanks

Might just be burning off stuff from the re-do.. I know mine did the first time out after I had carbs redone. I have a 92, but it is 50-1 also.

I have an 89 50hp and mix it to 50:1 - she smokes quite a bit at lower rpms.

Smoke is ok for a 2 cycle, it means it's getting oil, right?

wasilvers said:

Yep! I always go with the theory that it is better to have too much oil then not enough. I understand that too much oil in the gas might result in fouled plugs or carbon build up. It is also my understanding that too little oil will result in a seized or damaged motor.

I can deal with changing plugs or a de-carbonization if need be

Captain Ahab said:
wasilvers said:

Yep! I always go with the theory that it is better to have too much oil then not enough. I understand that too much oil in the gas might result in fouled plugs or carbon build up. It is also my understanding that too little oil will result in a seized or damaged motor.

I can deal with changing plugs or a de-carbonization if need be

True statements. My 1975 9.9 Evinrude smokes at low rpm's also. I do not let it bother me. It is good to know it is getting enough oil.

Latest posts