What food do you feed your dog?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
russ010 said:
DSCF0210-1.jpg

Russ - how is the "pup" doing?

Growing like a rag weed.. it's funny though - he still looks skinny, but he weighs (as of last week) 103lbs. The vet said "look at his paws! He's still got a lot of fillling out to do". He said he figures he will be in the 115-120lb range when he's fully mature. He turned 2 years old Dec 13. We brought him back inside about a month or so ago, and I can't believe how much he has calmed down.

He has this plump cushion thing Tiff got him to lay on in the living room with us, but he prefers to be behind us in the upper level of the stairwell coming in the entrance foyer, laying on this silk rug I got while overseas. Anytime someone comes up to the door, he gives out his "i'm going to eat you bark" until I tell him it's ok. Doorbells (at the house or on TV, or someone knocking on a door on the TV) will set him off and I have to open the door, let him investigate outside, then he's ready to come back in when he's sure all is ok.

I'm glad he's like that now with me traveling more and Tiff home alone... I think he would tear someone up when I'm not there... but he's not as much macho dog when I'm there.

The UPS guy came and brought my package from Tacklewarehouse, and instead of where the package usually is (in front of the door), I heard Kodiak going nuts while I was on my seat reading the newest issue of Bass Master yesterday. I got downstairs to let him check everything out, and my package was on the far end of the porch on the rail... I guess he didn't want to ring the doorbell and face Kodiak.

found some pics on my blackberry from Christmas....

this is one with just the flash of my cell camera

Kodiak green eyes.jpg

and here is one from outside

kodiak.jpg

I've got our Christmas picture on my home computer, and it actually shows just how big he is....

We feed our (now four) greyhounds the Kirkland brand Lamb & Rice from Costco. Our vet recommended after we went through the whole array of brands looking for one that didn't cause the big 'D'. Appearently it is a very good quality and doesn't have all the filler stuff.

as far as food goes... I had been feeding him Taste of the Wild dog food... but $50 for 28lbs was expensive for the amount he eats. I feed him 3cups in the morning, and 2 in the evening, but he's not food driven at all. Vet said to keep this up until he fills out.

Well, a month ago I changed brands for the last time. Found a new food called VF https://www.arkat.com/vfc_dog_perf.html (Veterinarian Formulated). $43 for a 40lb bag... and he's actually starting to put on more weight - and he likes eating this food...

Easier on my wallet too when a bag will last me almost a month

poolie said:
We feed our (now four) greyhounds the Kirkland brand Lamb & Rice from Costco. Our vet recommended after we went through the whole array of brands looking for one that didn't cause the big 'D'. Appearently it is a very good quality and doesn't have all the filler stuff.

I fed Kodiak that same food... for about 3 weeks before I realized it was too rich for him and causing more D than I wanted to pick up in the yard

Glad you found something that agrees with Kodiak. It's funny how some dogs can eat absolutely anything and have no issues yet others are more sensitive.

14 years as a K9 officer in south Florida I can tell you that Iams Eukanuba was the best. No waste, small bowel movements and no skin issues. I now have a 13 month old GSD which I imported from Germany prior to retirement and she gets Eukanuba once a day (2 cups) with no issues. She is getting the muscle and has a ton of energy.

For you guys with dogs that have ear bacteria try putting plain yogurt in their food twice a month. You can also clean the ear with plain yogurt as long as you wipe out the ear and get the yogurt out. The natural bacteria in the yogurt cleans the ear out very well.

Russ - did you ever try making your own food. My GSD is now 9 years old and has been on a steady diet of fresh meats (liver, ground beef and chicken leg quarts) and fish (she gets lots of shark, False Albacore and such in the summer) since a puppy. No issues and still in really great health.

I mix up 10 quart batches with some quality dry food as filler and freeze them. Much cheaper then any quality commercial food and teh dog does better on it.

I 2nd the yogurt advice. Never had any digestive issues but will give the dog yogurt every once in while - she likes it!

My huskies have been on Iams (Lamb Meal & Rice) since they were pups, and they're 10 & 11 yrs old now. I'll occasionally give them a different type of dry food, but it'a always Iams. As stated above, their stools are smaller & firmer, and they're healthy. Any other foods I've tried gave them a real mean case of the backdoor trots. This new Shitzu puppy we have is on Iams now. :)

I have been having a horid time with my dog, He has bad food allergys, Now he is on Natures recipe, Venison and rice, seems to be doing fair so far, been about 30 days, 50.00 for 30.00...

Attachments

• 003 [640x480].jpg
    003 [640x480].jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 517
  • 004 [640x480].jpg
    004 [640x480].jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 517
have you tried showtime best dog or ole roy i have 15 dogs and i usually feed them showtime or best dog but if im in walmart ill get ole roy there cheaper than most dog food and keeps the poop solid lol :roll: i hate it when i go out to clean the pens and there runny poo i took a little while to find what dogfood my dogs needed and i finally found it u cant buy showtime or best dog in places like walmart u gotta go to a feed store to find it what protein are u feeding him u might wanna switch to a higher protein

Waterwings said:
15 dogs! :shock: . I take it you don't live in downtown Jax, lol. :) .
lol not far from it bout 5 minutes but i dont have neighbors just buisnes around my house

if your dag has a weight maintenance problem it is a real possibility he has a inactive thiriod, have him tested by your vet. I have a Eng. pointer who has a weight problem and I supliment his food with raw tater peels (which he loves) fresh vegies either raw or steamed and raw beef trimmmings when I can get them. Go slow though with small quanities at a time till he ges used too the supliments. Feeding wet is another that will help digestion. Also a dog that eats real fast and gulps his food has a tendency to not digest the food well therefore can have a weight problem because he is loosing it through the stool. This is common when there are others around.

Latest posts