needle valve retainer,,,,,

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive been tinkering with my Evinrude 9.9,,,and it only starts half the time and when it does,,,its runs crapy for like 10-15 secs and dies out,now Im not a outboard mechanic, but do know a thing or two bout workin on small engines. Well I took out the needle valve and noticed that the retainer in it was missin a decent size chunk,but in process of me backing it out, I gave it a few pulls,,and when I did it really sounded like it wanted to fire up and run. well with me looking at the grimy retainer and touched it,,it just fell apart. Any of you fellas think that is my problem,,,,and any one know of where I might be able to pick one up in Virginia, with out me driving all over the place,,lol Thanks for any info,,,Robert

You didn't state what year your motor is but I would think you could order it from like i-boats or one of those places.
Pics would help so we're sure what your talking about.

#-o --- yeah I should have stated the year---1975--- Well I found the retainer for the needle valve today ,replaced it and did find the other chunk that was missing off the old one,,,got that out. Well even with that retainer,,still no luck,,,,I set the needle back as I found stated on the web------lightly seat it then 1 full turn back and nothing,,,about every 20-30 pulls she will kinda like back fire / slightly,,,but wont run :evil: ----Ive got good fire off both plugs,,,plugs are new. The only thing I can really think is maybe trash in the bowl,,but funny thing is it was running pertty good bout a week ago. Well I traded a rifle for it and saw a video of it running and when i picked it up,,it was running with a NASTY miss,,,and now since Ive had it,,,no luck at all----Please someone give me some ideas on this,,,thanks alot---Robert

heck Bud,,,,,after it wouldn't start on the 1 turn I tried all types of turns --ha ha ha ha ----just seemed to do the same small backfire deal after 900 pulls but mostly nothing----I'm going try to rebuild it this weekend,,,maybe just junk in the bowl,,as bad as the retainer was ate up,,I'm figuring that probably wasn't the only thing about to fall apart in there,,,thanks for the reply---Robert------oh yeah after replacing the retainer the needle was fairly hard to seat it in the hole,,,dont know what the deal with that was,,guess the treading of it back into the new rubber/plastic retainer ?????

Attachments

• 74-87 carb.jpg
    74-87 carb.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 530
I feel your pain. I have a '76 evinrude 9.9 that I'm trying to get running now. Well, it runs but has as you call it a "NASTY" miss. Started tearing it down tonight and found a pretty good score mark in the lower cylinder.

Latest posts