Convert clamp-on troller to Folding bow-mount?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is American ingenuity in its prime. Awesome job. Just make sure that its shock proof. You don't want your motor to go straight off into the water.

Other than that, incredibly clever and money saving. Thank you, you just saved me from buying a motor. :)

ARE YOU PLANNING ON FLIPPING THE HEAD/HANDLE OR JUST RUNNING IT IN REVERSE TO GO FORWARD? I RECENTLY FLIPPED MINE AND IT WAS A PRETTY SIMPLE PROCESS. GOOD WORK.

If you could, give me some details on the process of flipping the head as that would be optimal. It could get annoying having to remember to use it in reverse. Thanks.

I'm not sure about your motor but my Minn Kota just had a small bolt at the base of the motor head and all you have to do is unscrew that, pull the bolt out, twist the head 180 degrees, line up the holes, reinsert the bolt and tighten.

Here's what mine looked like after flipping the head.

Motor.jpg

bandgeek1263 said:
This is American ingenuity in its prime. Awesome job. Just make sure that its shock proof. You don't want your motor to go straight off into the water.

Other than that, incredibly clever and money saving. Thank you, you just saved me from buying a motor. :)

Thats awesome, great job man, looks really good. I will definitely be checking back for functionality updates just for curiosity. This thread should be sticky'd.

Whoopbass said:
I believe a trolling motor is the most important piece of equipment on the boat if you bass fish.
I have a 65# Minn Kota Maxxum 24v foot control on my 15' boat. I can fish and control the boat in high winds or jump from spot to spot quickly.
That homemade mount that BassnBob made is nice but its not comprable to a real bow mount that all you have to do is grab a rope and flip the trolling motor out and then steer with your foot.
Check craigslist and the classifieds section in your local bass fishing websites for a used one.

I broke down and bought a brand new 45lb MinnKota Edge 12v bow mount foot controlled and although it was very expensive (at least I think it was) I am very glad that I broke down and bought it. It is just awesome, the main benefit is increased fishing time. You can fish or tie on a different bait as you drive the boat with your foot. Foot controlled is definitely a huge benefit.

When I bought my boat it came with an old and very rough looking 18lbs motorguide transom mount. I was surprised it even works, I was just going to junk it or give it to someone but when I got my second battery I put it on the back, and it will stay there. I find it very useful for positioning the boat if I'm walking around fishing, or especially if there is a second person on board. Now that I have them, I would find it hard to do without either of them!

DownSouthGaBoy said:
Next I made the folding arm and the mounting bracket.

I didn't get into any specifics with mesurement on the arm, I kinda used trial and error. I found the arm should be half the length of the distance from the top of the sliding (top) bracket (with the motor in the folded position) to the top of the pivot (bottom) bracket with the motor in the deployed position.

But first came the mounting bracket.

Could you explain this in more detail? I read it and thought you were just talking about the shaft length between the tension control knob and the motor bracket. Is that so?

MINN KOTA MAKES A BRACKET CALLED RIPTIDE TROLLING MOTOR BOW MOUNT BRACKET. MOTOR GUIDE MAKES THE SAME BRACKET ALSO.
What I do on my bow mount troll motor, is I use the bracket above or Motor Guides bracket. Then I mount a BIG FOOT off/on switch on the deck. I set the speed on the handle and the direction I want, then use the switch to control the movement of my boat. You can get this switch just about anywhere. See pics.
If you cant find this switch, I have used in the past, a dimmer switch from an old car/truck that was mounted in the floor. Buy from any auto parts store, just mount on a piece of wood then secure to deck of your boat.

Attachments

• big foot switch.jpg
    big foot switch.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,877
  • big foot switch1.jpg
    big foot switch1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,877

Latest posts