Goose patrol - watchout

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Got out fishing this weekend and saw on of the more interesting things happen on the water. One of the landowners attempting to keep the geese away from his dock (we've all seen the mess they make - so he was plinking at them with a pellet gun. On shot 3 he managed to hit one at... I'd say at least 50 yards - maybe more like 60 yards from the shoreline (I bowhunt, my yardage is fair)- who knows how much farther to his muzzle. The goose flopped in the water for about 3 minutes and then expired. The rest of them decided to try the other side of the lake. Later, as the goose floated by me, I picked up 3 bass right around it :)

Never saw anyone kill a goose with a pellet gun before and with one heck of a shot. Sure made me think twice about fishing his dock :wink:

As a side note - I understand it is legal to shoot game out of season up here if it is damaging your property. Now I think this might be a stretch because the goose was a good 30 yards away from ANY dock. But I'm not the game warden.

He better check with the state and feds on that.

They don't play around with wild waterfowl. Even here, they are just now implimenting a process for special permits for removal/destruction of nuisance geese but you have to go through the state beforehand.

I once picked off a domestic duck at about 40 yards with a bb gun that felt like it was going to fall apart. My buddy lived on a 15 acre lake and fed the fish from his dock but the ducks would speed in and eat most of it before the fish ever had a chance to. He had this rattly old bb gun for shooting at them but they had gotten brave since you ordinarily couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, let alone a duck body and the thing was so worn out it would barely spit a bb. That day I said "I'm just going to go ahead and kill that big black and white duck to put the fear in the rest of them." He laughed and told me to go for it. I took a bead on that duck's head and brained him on the first shot. :lol:

Man, I would hate to be sitting in a Federal prison for killing a migratory game bird illegally, but that is where they send you as those birds are Federally protected.

Hmmmm, wonder how much respect that would garner from my cell mate?

Hmmmmmm....... docks, swimming platforms, boats, overhanging trees, lilly pads and now dead geese! Bass will hide under anything!

Captain Ahab said:
Hmmmm, wonder how much respect that would garner from my cell mate?

umm... duck, duck, goose! (and I'd say the ducks are the other guys your cell mate already failed with when his BB gun didn't shoot)

Latest posts