WOODWORKERS???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work perchin. I have just begun my woodworking hobby. I havent done much yet, but have some projects in the works. Mainly birdhouses and feeders. My wife and I have enjoy birdwatching. Never thought i would do such a thing.

Thanks Stew,

Unfortunately I have yet to get the shop cleaned up, and in acceptable form yet this summer :lol: I've had so much going on lately I just have not had the time....... even though I have a mile long project list, including 3 customer's projects. :oops:

Yep, I am a woodworker myself. I have a very small shop and crank out all kinds of stuff. I really enjoy using my badnsaw and making collector style boxes (bandsaw boxes). I will try anything twice :wink: .

Every year we make most of our Christmas presents, my wife quilts and knits, scrapbooks and such. I do the woodworking, knife making and leather crafting.

Scrap used for picture/candle holders
PicTeaLight2.jpg

https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/RBuffordTJ/Woodworking/TeaLight3.jpg[img]

Bandsaw Boxes
[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/RBuffordTJ/Woodworking/WalnutPurple1.jpg

WalnutPurple3.jpg

Zebra_Wal_Map1.jpg

FireBox1.jpg

FoldedFish2.jpg

MatchedBoxes1.jpg

MatchedBoxes3.jpg

Those are a few samples...oh almost forgot a few knives. I do the knives and sheathes.
Skinner10.jpg

WB15.jpg

Later Taters,
Bufford

very nice work bufford!!! oh man..... I can see some sweet looking bandsaw box's made from some spalted maple.......

RBuffordTJ said:
Yep, I am a woodworker myself. I have a very small shop and crank out all kinds of stuff. I really enjoy using my badnsaw and making collector style boxes (bandsaw boxes). I will try anything twice :wink: .

Every year we make most of our Christmas presents, my wife quilts and knits, scrapbooks and such. I do the woodworking, knife making and leather crafting.

Scrap used for picture/candle holders
PicTeaLight2.jpg

https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/RBuffordTJ/Woodworking/TeaLight3.jpg[img]

Bandsaw Boxes
[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/RBuffordTJ/Woodworking/WalnutPurple1.jpg

WalnutPurple3.jpg

Zebra_Wal_Map1.jpg

FireBox1.jpg

FoldedFish2.jpg

MatchedBoxes1.jpg

MatchedBoxes3.jpg

Those are a few samples...oh almost forgot a few knives. I do the knives and sheathes.
Skinner10.jpg

WB15.jpg

Later Taters,
Bufford

What saw are you running to make those things?

perchin said:
I own a full shop of tools. I buy all my lumber rough, then do all the kilning myself. I then mill it all to my needs. (against the wifes wishes)
I love resawing lumber. Past few weeks dad and I've been resawing well over 1000 board feet of lumber for a couple applications.

In our basement room, we pulled down the existing suspended ceiling, and wanted to replace it with a rustic barn wood look, but we didn't want to pay for the actual barnwood (at least in this area, it fetches an extremely high price). A good solution was the pallets that sheet metal comes on. They range from 4x8 up to 5x12 feet, and have 2x3-3x4 inch beams running lengthwise, with 3/4-5/4 slats on top, spaced about a foot apart. Some of the slats will be standard 5/4 pine deck boards (and thereby useless for this purpose), but a good many are rough sawn white oak and poplar, with some rough sawn pine mixed in. The beams, with exception to a few, are white oak, red oak, and poplar, all rough sawn.

I usually have a few of these pallets every month from aluminum I use, then we ended up getting as many as needed for free from a local metal stamping/CNC cutting (mass quantities only) shop. We left them outside for a few months, to weather, and get the "barn wood" appearance, then started milling them.

What we've been doing is running all the slats through the planer (one side only, to leave an untouched rough side), down to 3/4 inch, then bandsawing the beams down to 3/4 as well, taking just the rough outsides (the middles are in a stack waiting to be planed into flooring, as we have a few closets in need of new floors). We cut them down to 3 - 5 foot lengths, and stuck them up to the ceiling.

Granted, being pallet wood, it generally isn't the top quality lumber, but for the price we paid, we have no problem having to throw away a few pieces here and there that aren't up to par, and have no issues cutting knots out here and there. Plus, the unevenness adds to the barnwood appearance. It does look real nice up on the ceiling.

Before WoodResource closed (sadly, my favorite place) there was a vendor that sold furniture and boxes and such, made from only recycled wood like pallets and stuff.... I think its awsome to recycle in this fashion. Your lucky to have your father as a mentor, and friend to enjoy it with. I've been trying to save and talk the wife into letting me upgrade to this Band Saw now for 2 years.. :roll: (she does not like the upgrading stuff...as last summer I upgraded to a new 3hp steel city cabinet saw)

https://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005220/17458/Rikon-18-212-HP-Bandsaw.aspx

For the resawing, we just use an old 14" Delta with riser block. Not the greatest designed saw in the world, but adequate (we have another w/o riser block, geared down to cut metal, and I use it just about daily). I recently ended up with a 14" Powermatic for next to nothing, that we've been tinkering with when there is a free minute. It has a minor alignment issue (this saw is about 40 years old, and I think it never has been correct from the factory - it was originally in a high school shop, and the guy who bought it from the school auction couldn't set it up correctly, and practically gave it to me), that we've been working out. Except for the fact that this one has a problem (mismachined part, best we can tell), from a design standpoint, I like the Powermatic much better than the Deltas.

We also have one of the little 10.5 inch Inca saws. When set up correctly, that saw is amazingly smooth, and for small detailed stuff, it works like a dream.

Love your work guys. Amazing talent. I too have a woodshop when the cars aren't in the garage. I had quite a collection of my own tools but then when my dad died I got a lot more...some duplicates. Then....my father-in-law died and I got a bunch more. My garage is over filled. I need an unattached shop in the back. But that's a dream. This winter, I'm hoping to build some shelving and mantle for our living room over the fireplace and covering the walls on both sides. It will be made from cherry to match the cabinets in the kitchen.

Buford....I'll have to get you to make me a guitar strap some time. Might even have to talk you out of one of those boxes too. Very nice.

Latest posts