christmas comes early

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisch

Reaction score
well after a restless night not that different to a young kid on christmas eve thursday morning finally arrived and we were in the car heading up to the atherton tableland for a barra fish. We met up with a mate ian and after a lilttle chat we were in the boat and heading off to the first point of the morning. We decided to target shallow weedy points early in the hope that the barra would be up there feeding in the warmer water. I decided to tie on a 150mm (6 inch) walk the dog style lure and about 30 casts into the first spot it happened! it sounded like someone dropping a brick into the water from a second story building and i came up hard on a solid fish and instantly the 20lb line started spewing off the little baitcaster unfortunately my excited yells were short lived as the fish won its freedom after a few jumps. (WHAT A WAY TO GET THE BLOOD PUMPING IN THE MORNING) the next 2 hours were really quiet untill ian noticed a little bit of bait moving on the surface not far from where we were so we made our way to it and 2nd cast my deep diving hardbody lure was met with a bone shattering hit that left me shaking but it never came up hard. It was only another 5 casts or so later and i finally came up hard to a fish not a monster by any measure but it was good to get one in the boat after a tuff morning. One last change for the morning had us fishing a very shallow bay we flogged the water for at least a hour with hard bodies and i was starting to get bored so just for fun i decided to start casting round the walk the dog style popper again when both ian and i noticed a fish come up and check it out but not strike at it. The very next cast half way back to the boat i gave the lure a long pause and sure enough it was hit hard but these fish are terrible at eating a surface lure and for every 5 or so hits u get u might get a hook up but believe me though it is so worth it to watch these fish smash the popper off the surface. the same shallow bay ended up feilding 4 hits in total but no hook ups all up it was a great morning and i cant wait to get back up there soon and chace one of the big ones!

Attachments

• SDC10299tinnaroo.jpg
    SDC10299tinnaroo.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 422
it's so neat to see fish from other than NA. Is that a freshwater species and forgive the stupidity but what kinda fish is that? Congrats on a nice fish.

sorry i should have explained what kind they are. They are barramundi proably our best known species over here they can live in fresh and salt water but in order to breed they need to be able to get to salt water. the place i was yesterday tinaroo dam is actually a stocked impoundment the fish in here can reach massive sizes becase the are the top of the food chain in there, ian was telling me his biggest for the year was 35 kg and 1.35m! thing thats over 4ft and 60lb this was actually my first impoundment barra but believe me it is the first of many to come id say. The way these iconic fish fight makes them imho one of the greatest fish to target.

Nice catch fisch

Pretty sure I saw Bill Dance fishing a small pond that was stocked with these. He kept commenting on how hard they pulled.

Nice fish.
Watching WFN one night and seen a show from Australia...they were tournament fishing for those fish.
Nice to see,thanks.

thanks for all the comments guys. That tournament u would have seen is called AFC (australian fishing champs) the barra have only been stocked in dams for a relatively short amount of time but have been a massive success story. I must admit that after thursday i was kicking my self that i diddnt get off my bum and do it earlier id say 90% of my fishing now will be done up there while the weather is warm and the fish are active. So stand by for more reports from this fantastic place

I thought i would put this up for everyone. This is basically what we do but its a different dam believe it or not this not a unsual catch and they get much bigger a fish liuke that could be a young as 4 years old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0M7R-DVk1M&feature=related

GREAT report! That's a pretty sexy looking fish there too. Very stout!

....and that video really get's me going. Awesome!

Latest posts