Wood burning\fire wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 stoves and I only heat with wood!!!! Love it there is nothing like cutting wood on a cold day. I can spend all day doing it.

Pruitt1222 said:
I think in a past life I was a logger maybe, I love felling and cutting trees almost as much as fishing "maybe more in the fall".

My father used to make my brother and myself cut down trees with a two man crosscut saw, no chain saw. We also had to split it with an ax or maul. Started at a young age, maybe five or six. My "love" for it subsided by the time I was six or seven.

KMixson said:
My father used to make my brother and myself cut down trees with a two man crosscut saw, no chain saw. We also had to split it with an ax or maul.

And I bet the walk to school was about 10 miles round trip...all up hill. :p :mrgreen:

There has to be a certain irony, but I heat the garage with oil fired hot air. In the house I have a freestanding wood insert stove with a furnace fan blowing through it. That puppy will throw some heat at 400` flue temps. We burn 4-5 cord a year, less now that the kids and wife hump it up to the house :)

This year I did put a big 3 wheeler tire on the front of the wheel barrow for them. :mrgreen:

Speaking of saws, I'm down to an even 20 right now. Mostly Stihl in use but my favorite is my '55 Diston DO-101 with a 5hp Mercury motor.

Jamie

I use only wood heat and go through about 5 cord a year. I need to stock pile some up and head north to sell it... LOL Some around here are selling for about 150/cord split and delivered. I go out and cut my own, theres just to much out there for me to have to buy from someone else.

Andy said:
I use only wood heat and go through about 5 cord a year. I need to stock pile some up and head north to sell it... LOL Some around here are selling for about 150/cord split and delivered. I go out and cut my own, theres just to much out there for me to have to buy from someone else.

Going rate here NOW is 300-350 per cord.

I love my fireplace insert. Keeps the house at 75 +- a few degrees.

Excellent topic....

I used to heat 100% with wood...1700 sq. ft. used about 2 - 3 cords per season. I also liked being outdoors cutting, splitting, and stacking wood. I ended up investing in a gas powered hydraulic log splitter...best investment ever... 12.5 HP / 35 ton ram... would split both vertically and horizontally ....that baby could split some wood. I also loved the warm, even heat form the stove. I used to put a pan of water on top for humidity, made quite a few pots of coffee and tea as well as cooked a few meals on top. Mine was a catalytic stove... I had tubes running across the inside top with small holes in them to burn combustable gas inside the firebox...they say that type has a more efficent, clean burn. Also had a window in the door so watching the fire with my lady was real nice on cold nights...

Here is a real excellent website dedicated to heating with wood..

https://www.woodheat.org

November of 2009 I moved out of that house and into a smaller place with no wood stove. I sometimes think about putting in a small wood stove (900 sq. ft.) but the heat bill is not to bad and times (money) are real tight these days, so I guess the stove will have to wait.... I think one of the things I miss most about the old place (do not miss much)...is heating with wood.

Outdoorsman

PS: Editied to add....Another thing I used to (and still) do just to keep costs down and just stick it to the utilitey company is kinda partially pretend I do not have any electricity for lighting....then and now about 90 % of my lighting is by candles or oil lamps. Easy for me with no children in the house. Candles can be had real cheap by the boxfull at estate and moving sales...this took a while for my lady to get used to, but when she seen the drop in the electric bill and started to enjoy the soft light she was on board....of course she (we) still use electric lighting for some stuff....but not much....

We also have a fireplace insert Regency I-2400.we love it.
https://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/I2400.aspx

The wife and I remodeled our favorite room in our house several years ago we installed a large TV, new carpet and a wood bearing insert. This was a retirement present for me and a treat for my wife.

One of the things we wonted to do was to make our self a little more self reliant that is something everyone should do but that is another story my Jon boat is a part of that thanking.

Anyway we lowered our $200.00 to $300.00 natural gas bill in the winter to the mem. charge of $8.50.

We also love getting out in the woods cutting and splitting our firewood. I have been cutting our fire wood since 2003 and to date I have not cut one live tree that was not going to the dump for storm damage of some kind all my wood has been dead stand or dyeing trees. I like it that way we all love nature don’t we are fishing men and lades aren’t we.

Like I said the wife and love cutting our wood and do it together most of the time. Yes it does take dedication for sure.

We use our savings for diesel fuel for pulling our camper and going fishing.

Do everything you can to be more self reliant you owe it to you family’s.

Oh yea....almost forgot...

Check with your local city or even county parks / highyway departments. If you have the space for a large truck to unload they would be happy to "dump" trees they cut down at your place usually for free... better have a big saw because usually they dunp some huge diameter logs...

Outdoorsman

I grew up with wood heat.........it was great..........nothing like spending time outdoors cutting wood with the family. I don't recommend cutting wood with flip flops though!

So tonight I officially shut down the wood farnace and turned the water heater on and the furnace up. My official tally of wood burnt is 4 cord and 3 ricks. Didn't run the insert as much as I have in previous years, mostly just the furnace. I would say this winter has been much warmer then the past few regardless of all the snow we got.

Pruitt1222 said:
So tonight I officially shut down the wood farnace and turned the water heater on and the furnace up. My official tally of wood burnt is 4 cord and 3 ricks. Didn't run the insert as much as I have in previous years, mostly just the furnace. I would say this winter has been much warmer then the past few regardless of all the snow we got.

Wow interesting!

We just ran out of wood last Sunday. We Burned through 7 trees that we had cut down last spring & my father supplied me with 3-4 truck loads of scrap oak, cherry, and Mahogany from his buddies wood shop. This winter was long and cold. I can hear the furnace kicking on now.....I am not looking forward to next months gas bill.

The only place I burn wood is in the smoker, but for here's some inspiration for your woodpiles next year....

https://i.imgur.com/8tyGp.png 8)

Larry

Latest posts