just because

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
so i'm in the garage all day waterproofing the plywood before i carpet the boat. the wife comes in and asks me why i would spend $2500 on a brand new boat,[that she thinks is too big ? ]then start decking,seating and spending all kinds of money when i still havent even taken it out on the water yet.i tried to explain how much better its going to be for the both of us.she still thinks i'm a total idoit.i'm beginning to think she may be right. .she also asked when i plan to buy a new,bigger motor, "because i know you" i better get this boat finished soon.

Tell her that your boat is like a new house.The boat is only the outside structure & you have to finish off the interior to make it comfortable & fishable :lol:

My wife is like that too... unfortunately my budget (and what she allows me of the budget) will limit me getting a deck built until later this summer. She had a hard enough time letting me spend $700 for what I got now ($400 for boat+trailer, $100 for battery and motor, $100 for all the title, fees, registration and tags, and most of the rest for odds and ends like tail lights).

yeah,she's odd.i had my boat sitting on top of a utility trailer in the garage.the kid built it for a school shop project a couple years ago.its never been used because i have an f150,anyway,every time i work on the boat i put her car on the street for days at a time and put the boat in her spot so i can actually get in it. she got so sick of scraping ice off her windows,she demanded i get rid of the trailer and go buy a proper boat trailer so she can have her spot back. i swear,i never know what direction she is coming from. she lives to bust my balls :LOL2:

If all else fails set the boat projects aside and take her fishing or just a scenic cruise and when she comments on how uncomfortable the bench seats are explain how your plan includes nice padded seats with tall backs for her to rest her tushie on. Maybe even discuss some changes for her like a spot to lay out in the sun

Crankworm said:
If all else fails set the boat projects aside and take her fishing or just a scenic cruise and when she comments on how uncomfortable the bench seats are explain how your plan includes nice padded seats with tall backs for her to rest her tushie on. Maybe even discuss some changes for her like a spot to lay out in the sun
funny you should say that.i asked her what she thought of a seat mount up in the bow and she said" sure,as long as i can still lay on the deck".i think i will wait a while till i bring up new seats. the old ones are still good,just the wrong color.(she wuold never sit on just the bench) if i know her at all, she will mention it... she's already seen me looking at highbacks.

You know, I asked for a budget and asked my wife to mind her own hobbies and it worked out fine.

Plain and simple...fishing and boating related to fishing are the only things I spend money on...period.

I don't spend on vacations (unless fishing is involved), I don't spend on restaurants, bars, electronics...really, nothing but fishing and boating related to fishing.

I basically told her that if I didn't "deserve" to have something that simple, then maybe we should pay someone to do all of the extra crap I do around here to save us money so I can enjoy fishing.

You know...the plumbing, wiring, carpentry, working on her car etc...

When I added up how much money I saved the house in 6 months alone, I had covered "my boat budget. That pretty much ended that conversation...

I really liked the whole "interior" thing...I mean, when you buy a house, they always have a "decoration budget" HAHAHAHA

bcbouy, it is time you stood up for yourself and take control of your house hold!!!!! Let your wife know that you are "The Man" and what you say goes. Then tell her "that is, if that's okay with you, baby". LOL!!!!! That's the way I do it. LOL!!!!!!

bcbouy said:
.she also asked when i plan to buy a new,bigger motor, "because i know you" i better get this boat finished soon.
What she really means is "Honey go get your motor now" :mrgreen:

shamoo said:
bcbouy said:
.she also asked when i plan to buy a new,bigger motor, "because i know you" i better get this boat finished soon.
What she really means is "Honey go get your motor now" :mrgreen:

That is what I thought she was saying too!

she is actually a really good sport.she just likes to bust my balls.i quit smoking two years ago,and then bought a boat.she still smokes,so she doesn't make too much noise,plus she loves to fish,and we have a really good rivalry going.i'd bet a weeks pay that she has a cabin rented for the may long weekend, so we can take a fishing trip.

bcbouy said:
she is actually a really good sport.she just likes to bust my balls.i quit smoking two years ago,and then bought a boat.she still smokes,so she doesn't make too much noise,plus she loves to fish,and we have a really good rivalry going.i'd bet a weeks pay that she has a cabin rented for the may long weekend, so we can take a fishing trip.

Man, that's really cool!

My wife will go fishing with me...to sit on the back of the boat and read a book :)

I'm just happy she'll get up at 3AM and drive an hour to the lake :)

You have to cut 'em some slack. They just don't understand. My wife asked me years ago, "Why do you want another gun? You've already got one!"

Wanna know how many rods and reels I have. Don't ask me, ask my wife. She keeps up with all that stuff. I'm sure at some point in the future she will use it as ammo to get something she wants...

poolie said:
Wanna know how many rods and reels I have. Don't ask me, ask my wife. She keeps up with all that stuff. I'm sure at some point in the future she will use it as ammo to get something she wants...

I'm glad my wife doesn't have a clue what I have. I'd be in deep sheite!

Crankworm said:

zactly right! My wife and I have fished out of a 10ft jon with hard plastic seats the past two years and it has been less than comfortable. So the lure I used to hook her on the bigger Lowe was a sun (casting) deck for her to tan and read on. Only problem is she is also asking if there would be a place to put an awning for when the sun gets too hot! #-o
We'll work through that, but I have my boat and not a lot of grief so far. What would we do without them? =D>

fender66 said:
That can be an advantage.........you can replace the old one with new and just say "I always had this....."

justnortherns said:
fender66 said:
That can be an advantage.........you can replace the old one with new and just say "I always had this....."

I would NEVER do that. :---) :roll:

but she does the same thing. We both look the other way. :lol:

Latest posts