MY albino catfish colony

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbug

Reaction score
I have had tropical fish for most of my life. I have had good luck in breeding many types of fish
Angles,kribs,discus,and betas. all of these egg layers tend to just pair off 1 female and one male if you get the water conditions right it is fairly easy.
I wanted to try and see if i could get catfish to spawn but these guys are tough they tend to do better in schools
so I started playing around and put 7 cats in a tank 5 males and 2 females i feed them blood worms until the females were ready to pop then drained the water half way down and filled the tank with ice water dropping the temp 30* they say this mimics the rainy season and starts the spawn
the next morning i had about 200eggs in the tank i removed the family and the eggs hatched and the babies are doing well they are 3 weeks old now and have tripled in size the pictures are not as clear as i would like but you can see them

055.jpg

here is a big female full of eggs she is 1.5"
057.jpg

eggs on the glass and filter
056.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

andnow the babies
004-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

and one more of the parents
001-1.jpg

Now that's very cool! I love watching a fish tank at night in a dark room. Really relaxing! I used to have 5 softshell turtles that were about the size of a quarter that I'd watch for hours. They were like little spaces ships cruising around chasing minnows. Very impressed with your fish breeding ability. Again...very cool!

Congrats on breeding the Corydora's! Not the easiest thing to do!

I worked about Petco for about three years and devoured every bit of aquatic literature I could find. I was into it big time for awhile. I've kept just about every type of aquarium from the kiddie/whimsical style community to species and biotope specific tanks simulating different lakes and rivers around the world. Lake Malawi, Tanganyika, Amazon River, you name it. About the only types of aquariums I haven't done are a goldfish tank and cold-water marine tank. I kept a reef tank for about three years, but ended up breaking my leg in a dirtbike wreck and couldn't maintain it as required. Algae began to take over because I was using nutrient rich tap water to mix with the salt because I couldn't make it to the Culligan machine at Wal-Mart to buy RO/DI water on my crutches. I finally threw in the towel against the algae and sold off the corals and live rock. Keeping a reef tank was awesome, but I'll never do it again!

Props again on the fry!

the babies are about 1/2" now and in the main tank with the rest of my fish.
the adults will be back in the breeding tank to have another go at laying eggs.
I also have picked up 6 morre panda corys taking my total to 9 they are going to get thier own tank and see what happens.
My black angels have laid eggs 2 times in the main tank but they have eaten them before they hatch.
another addition to my tank is a few plecos

snowball pleco
001-5.jpg

king algeres
004-5.jpg

red scarlet. very shy he only shows his tail
006-4.jpg

Royal pleco
013-3.jpg

clown pleco
020-2.jpg

Latest posts