Distance Travel in Fishing Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mposluns

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm entirely new to this site but I have a question that has been on my mind for a long time. I should, perhaps, say that my camp/cottage is on the Pickerel River, right beside the French River. I also go out from Britt, Ontario into Georgian Bay to troll for salmon.

Some years ago I read a book by an Englishman who bought a 16' cedar strip boat and an ELTO Evinrude 3 hp outboard (there's a photo of the author, Lewis with Ole and Mrs. Evinrude. He piloted ths boat across Green Bay, up Lake Michigan into Lake Huron and across to Georgian Bay, down to the Severn-Trent Canal system, across Lake Ontario to Oshwego, NY and down the Erie Canal to NYC.

I have been thinking for some years about doing a distance trip in my 16.5' Lund Rebel with an Evinrude e-tec 60 hp. I am interested in being in touch with anyone who is interested in distance travel in an open boat or who has done such traveling in the past. (My thought is that I would do a few small trips out from Britt, to Killarney, for example, to get the hang of it).

So if you've done or thought about doing such a trip please tell me about it and if you know someone else who has done such a trip please pass this note along to them.

Michael (Mickey) Posluns.

DO IT! I go offshore tuna fishing in a 30 CC boat - we might travel upwards of a few hundred miles in a two day trip. Pack lots of fuel, LOL

I think you will be fine - just file a float plan with someone and have periodic check in times.

Since you are gonna be on the big lakes, an EPIRB is a great thing to have with you - you can rent them from Boat US https://www.boatus.com/foundation/EPIRB/

I would also recommend purchasing a package from Boat US - you break down far far from your home port and you are gonna get hit with a huge tow bill - get the gold package it is well worth it

Sounds like a good time. One of the things I always wanted to do, was head north along the shore of Lake MI, and find a nice beach in the middle of nowhere to setup an overnight camp with the wife.
Plus, I'm pretty sure that would buy me enough brownie points that I could exchange them for days away-fishing. :lol:

Only problem I'm finding with your idea or post is that you are trolling Georgian Bay for Salmon, and not Muskie :D

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

This sounds like a trip of a lifetime. I would follow Captain Ahabs advice and then for sure keep us posted on what you do and decide.

Good luck!
Jim

Captain Ahab said:
DO IT! I go offshore tuna fishing in a 30 CC boat - we might travel upwards of a few hundred miles in a two day trip. Pack lots of fuel, LOL

I think you will be fine - just file a float plan with someone and have periodic check in times.

Since you are gonna be on the big lakes, an EPIRB is a great thing to have with you - you can rent them from Boat US https://www.boatus.com/foundation/EPIRB/

I would also recommend purchasing a package from Boat US - you break down far far from your home port and you are gonna get hit with a huge tow bill - get the gold package it is well worth it

Thanks for your note. Glad to know someone else does something along these lines.

Fishing tuna out there sounds awesome. I'm certainly big on filing a float plan. I did the Canadian Power Squadron course. Float plans were a big thing. As was a list of things to check off before casting off. I'm getting my list encased in plastic.

I'll have to check out Boat US. That's a new one for me. If I can gradually extend my reach, the rest should be ok. Packing supplies will be interesting.

Lewis, who wrote about his 1922 trip in a 3hp. made a point of checking the weather each time he crossed a big bay far out in the big water. I'll get across much faster than he did but it would still be a good idea to look before I leap.

Make sure you have a working VHF radio and possible a smart phone or something that can show you the local radar - that really helps with weather. We use Sirus weather connected to our view screns but those might take up 1/2 your boat :mrgreen:

Wow...that sounds like a great trip. My boat would run out of gas before I got very far out of town. :mrgreen: Go for it though.....and be safe.

Oh and welcome to TinBoats. Happy to have you here.

A friend of mine bought a jon boat, loaded up the fam and drifted down the Mississippi one summer (he's a teacher). They camped at sites along the river, if he needed supplies, he just hitched a ride into town with one of the campers or camp host.

I didn't ask too many details, but thought it was an awesome idea for a few summer months.

There was a guy here in Knoxville a few years ago who was taking a long boat trip in, if I remember correctly, a jon boat with a 25 hp motor. He was going from Knoxville, down the Tennessee River, and would eventually wind up in the Gulf of Mexico. From there he was going somewhere else but I don't remember where. I know he made it to the Gulf of Mexico but it took him a lot longer than he expected. I'd say go for it.

I have always wanted to do the Mississippi River cruise... from Wisconsion south... as far as I could get before having to turn around and head back (upstream)....

All good advise so far... #1 Two way marine radio with weather bands, #2 Cell Phone with charger and extra batteries, #3 File a float plan and stick to it.. remain in contact with someone via phone the entire trip to inform of any deviations from plan, # 4 If theres room condsider a small porta-potty... might come in handy if you can't find a place to shi!%** #5 use common sense..think things through twice before making cruical decisions (weather, direction of travel, where to dock, etc., bring some distress flares, etc. # 6 Have fun...it would be the trip of a lifetime...bring a camera...

Outdoorsman...

Outdoorsman said:
I have always wanted to do the Mississippi River cruise... from Wisconsion south... as far as I could get before having to turn around and head back (upstream)....

All good advise so far... #1 Two way marine radio with weather bands, #2 Cell Phone with charger and extra batteries, #3 File a float plan and stick to it.. remain in contact with someone via phone the entire trip to inform of any deviations from plan, # 4 If theres room condsider a small porta-potty... might come in handy if you can't find a place to shi!%** #5 use common sense..think things through twice before making cruical decisions (weather, direction of travel, where to dock, etc., bring some distress flares, etc. # 6 Have fun...it would be the trip of a lifetime...bring a camera...
Outdoorsman...

7. Don't angry the Indians.

Oh wait...that was on Lewis and Clark's list. Guess that doesn't apply for our times. :LOL2:

Latest posts