paint stripper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadpole86

Reaction score
So today I was attempting to strip the paint off my boat to get it down bare aluminum. It has 3 coats of paint, one possibly being the original because it is a bear to get off. Any suggestions on a paint stripper that will rip through the paint with relative ease?

I just used Klean Strip Stripper from walmart. I've got all the paint off of the boat except on the bottom.

Some things I've learned:

The warmer the better. This is the most important thing. The stuff just doesn't work nearly as well when cold.

Be liberal when you brush it on. I had to be careful to not slop it everywhere when brushing it on.

Let it sit for plenty of time. I found it's better to work on a couple different things at once, and just let the stripper sit on for awhile. 1/2 at least.

Sometimes you will get better results when adding a second slathering before taking off the paint.

Finally, tied for the most important thing is to forget the scraper and get a stiff stainless wire brush. I tried using one in a drill, and to be honest I think the hand brush works better, and is less messy.

I never could get all the way to aluminum everywhere with one coat. The factory zinc coating was particularly tough.

I've seen guys put saran wrap over it once applied to keep it wet for a longer period of time.

I am trying to get the paint off the bottom so I can patch the couple holes and have a clean surface to put some bed liner type stuff to make it more durable. I want to do this because the aluminum is a little weak in some areas and I do not want to continuously patch holes.

Aircraft Stripper is the best one I used. And I tried three different types. Plus one one hand wire brush green abrasive pads work great too.

fireshadow said:
Aircraft Stripper is the best one I used. And I tried three different types. Plus one one hand wire brush green abrasive pads work great too.

Are you referring to the rustoleum aircraft stripper?

fireshadow said:
+1 and I don't think the product I used was a rustoleum brand, but I'm not sure. I bought it at West Marine though and it was the best stuff I've run across.

Latest posts