Decking-When and when not to.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I've beeen using my decked 1436 extensively all Spring, I feel like I can comment here. My boat isn't decked to the top, but I do have a front casting deck on top of the bench seats. At first it would scare me to move around in it, but with a little bit of time, it got a lot easier. Now I don't even think about it. I don't use a seat in the front, and I can stand and bass fish all day long with no issues, including hooksets on jigs and Texas rigs.

A couple of things to note, however. Adding a second person, especially someone over 200 lbs (I'm right at 200 myself), can make things a little interesting, especially if they aren't used to standing up and fishing in a boat. I can fish with my wife who is a lot smaller than me and we have no problems. I spend a lot of time fishing with just my dog, and that's ideal as well.

The other thing is the size of the lake. I started getting frustrated trying to fish big lakes, and as the pleasure boaters started coming out, it became clear that it was a safety issue, not just a coordination thing. Deck or no deck, I don't think a 1436 can safely run in a big lake with a lot of boat traffic. I have a number of 1000 acre lakes and smaller near me that are excellent fisheries, have speed limits and don't allow jetskis and such. When I stick to those, I really don't even feel the need to upgrade my boat like I was starting to think, in frustration.

So in summary, like others have said, buy the most boat you are able to that will meet your needs.

Attachments

• boat and trailer.jpg
    boat and trailer.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5,891
My Alumacraft Crappie Jon Jr. is not bad with my self in it. But you get another adult in it you both better not lean over to far on the same side.

Henry

My boat is a 1438 with the rear deck on the ribs and the front deck raised 4 inchs off the ribs or 6 inchs from the floor. By myself I can walk around and stand and fish with out thinking about it unless the water is very rough or lots of other boat wake is present. Add my Father or FIL and I can still stand and fish, Add my wife or daughter and I have to take a seat or swim. My FIL has a decked 1436 lowe that is decked on top of the benches, I like all his storage but we tend to take my boat for some reason. :) Its could be mine is more stable or he hates running the trolling motor. I think its about time for a upgrade honestly.

Attachments

• Picture 341 (Large).jpg
    Picture 341 (Large).jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 5,838
  • Picture 340 (Large).jpg
    Picture 340 (Large).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 5,838
Hi! I'm a first time poster here and have never modified a boat...yet. I've had and been around Bass, ski, and fishing boats most of my life.

Now for my stupid question... In a jon boat, what difference does it make low vs mid vs high deck (other rhan a little more storage space)?

If you want to talk tippy, I now have a Sea Eagle SE9 inflateable boat. It has a floor board and a motor mount. Try standing up in that thing!

For small waters, I'd say it would be pretty good and I would personally deck it out bench high. Some would say no, however. If you can find a 48" bottom one, go that route. If you can get a 16 footer with a 48" bottom, even better. Honest, you can run out of room real quick.

Sinker said:
What's your opinion on this 1542? I'm 5'9 and 200lbs, do you think this would pretty stable as configured for small waters?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...1716&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#v4-36

Personal preference and fishability based on your style of fishing. A bass fisherman likes to have a high deck because of the techniques used. Crappie fishermen and catfishermen for example, I'd say it probably doesn't matter as much except for storage as you mentioned.

Gator Bait said:
Hi! I'm a first time poster here and have never modified a boat...yet. I've had and been around Bass, ski, and fishing boats most of my life.

Now for my stupid question... In a jon boat, what difference does it make low vs mid vs high deck (other rhan a little more storage space)?

If you want to talk tippy, I now have a Sea Eagle SE9 inflateable boat. It has a floor board and a motor mount. Try standing up in that thing!

iam a newbie at boats but heres the question how do u measure the boats bottom to know when to deck i have a 14 ft and i measure the middle of the the boat from one side to the other it measures 54 inches is that good to deck

Attachments

• boat00.jpg
    boat00.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 9,084
Very good thread, 3/4" should do the trick for decking? I got about a 3ft gap under the floor and would like to justput the wood across it without support...

I think it all depends on the boat.

For 36" and skinnier at the base (including v-hulls), I would not deck any higher than the lowest bench, and even then only deck the very front and back, not the entire length. Full length is only recommended for 1442 and wider/longer.

On my 1436, my wood frame will be level with the top of the bench, with 5/8" plywood on top of that for the front deck. Then 1/2" plywood "floating" on top of rubber padding for the floor, not planning to screw that down for ease of cleaning.

Bass fisherman said:
iam a newbie at boats but heres the question how do u measure the boats bottom to know when to deck i have a 14 ft and i measure the middle of the the boat from one side to the other it measures 54 inches is that good to deck

I have the same question. :)

great post because i was going to ask about my situation. i'm about to start my first mod on this 12 ft alum flat bottom. Not sure on the width and i dont have it in my possession yet. If i do end up decking it, would a material lighter than plywood and a 2x2 or 2x3 wood frame help with stability? If so what materials?

Thanks all

Attachments

• Model.jpg
    Model.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 8,800
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 8,800
Ok.... I took some measurements and I hope this will give me some direction. I am struggling with what size my boat is.

So, from bow to stern it is 14'.... that is easy.

The middle bench seat is 48" wide. If you measure the "deck" directly in front of and behind the middle seat it is as follows..... from the lowest "rib" where the v-hull comes up on both sides it is 24" wide.... if you measure from the top of the "V" where the gussets end it is 43" wide... I am not sure the best way to describe this.

The transom is 16" high, the rear bench is 11" from the deck, the middle bench is 14" from the deck and the front bench is 16" from the deck. At the section of the boat forward of the rear seat the side rails are at about 24" or so.....

Below is a picture. My goal is to have a small deck down the middle of the boat. Not for elevation as much as for a flat, quite surface. I will probably look to find 6" pedestals for the fishing seat in the stern and in the bow seat.

022511-rimfire010.jpg

The boat will have a 55 pound thrust motor, a fish finder and will only have 2 adults or 2 adults and a child a most. We used to use a 36 pound thrust (As seen in the picture) but I figured with the added plywood, framing and carpet a 55 would be better. We also used to take all four of us fishing but the kids are growing...

So, what do you think I should do? What size boat is this other than a 14' Starcraft?

Thanks!

Leroy

I have been out there staring at the boat for an hour. I am hopeless. I cannot tell where to begin. Is there a good source on the internet that shows a pretty good step by step procedure? I cannot even tell what size my boat is let alone how to make it more fishing friendly. And advice would be helpful.

mcdonl said:
I have been out there staring at the boat for an hour. I am hopeless. I cannot tell where to begin. Is there a good source on the internet that shows a pretty good step by step procedure? I cannot even tell what size my boat is let alone how to make it more fishing friendly. And advice would be helpful.

Post some pics of the boat(If you have not already).

Jim said:
mcdonl said:

Post some pics of the boat(If you have not already).

Previous post has pictures. I am so new at this I am not even sure where to measure.

mcdonl said:

In my opinion, you already found the best source on the internet that shows step by step procedures. Go through the builds that are posted here. There's tons of how-to advice and pictures, as well as the invaluable resource of others who are completely willing to offer support and suggestions. "Staring at the boat" for hours is part of the process. You're going over in your mind about your available options. Can I do this? If I do this, will it it affect how I do that? Relax and enjoy it. Rule No. 1 - If you're stressing over it, you're doing it wrong. I found TinBoats early last summer and decided to mod my boat. Went to the scrap yard and bought aluminum framing and got a rivet gun. Then, I decided to re-do the trailer before starting on the boat. Been working on the trailer since August and still not done. Haven't even opened the package for the rivet gun. BUT, at least once a week, I'm out staring at the boat, experimenting with different lay-outs for the decking by putting the framing in different positions, imagining where I want the batteries, livewell, rod storage, etc. Don't let the wife or the neighbors catch you sitting in the empty boat with a fishing rod in your hand. :) Also, don't let the process overwhelm you. Break it down into small steps. You're not gonna be done in a week. There will be challenges and frustrations, but there will also be satisfaction at knowing you are custom building something that can't be bought anywhere else. Remember, this is also supposed to be fun.

Latest posts