boat damaged in accident

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back4more

Reaction score
yesterday I was involved in an accident. a guy ran a red light and slammed into my truck, boat & trailer. the officer told me that the other driver was ticketed.

the guy had insurance (according to the police report). I did not have coverage on my boat/trailer/motor. I think the other drivers insurance should cover my losses correct? how much should I expect to be compensated? I spent $500 for the 2011 boat, $590 for the 2011 trailer, and $600 for the 2000 5 horse 4 stroke motor. after add ons and motor repair I had about $2200 in it.

boat.jpg

motor.jpg

trailer.jpg

When I first looked at the picture of boat, I thought you had a straightening job. Then, I saw the motor and trailer and now I think you have a total loss. Hope you make out OK with his insurance company. They certainly seem to be the ones who should pay. At least there wasn't any injury . Rich

all depends on what state you live in. If your in a no fault state your pretty much screwed. If you have full coverage it may cover it, But im not 100% certain, as usually an insurable item is not covered under your auto.

i'm just curious,can you guys insure your boat/motor under your house insurance like we do up here? costs me about $100 a year. that really sucks,with the ins. hassles. i feel for you .

Sorry about your boat, that sucks.

In Illinois. I had coverage for boat and motors, extras, etc., - ran $82 per year - replacemnt value was around $6000. Separate policy, not homeowners or car ins.

You may have to claim it on your insurance and then let your insurance Co fight it out with there insurance Co.

Report it to your insurance company, but only give them the information for informational purposes only. Go after the other driver's insurance directly and demand a new boat, trailer, and the value of a comperable motor.

Tell his insurance company that if they don't pay in a timely manner, then have your insurance company get invovled. In a claim like this, his insurance company will hate having yours badger them. Play your cards right. I'm assuming since the equipment is so new, you have all receeipts for the boat and trailer? That will play in big time when it comes to getting a fair value for your loss.

In some states the trailer you are pulling is covered by your auto insurance but I think his will pay!

As long as he is insured, doesn't matter whether he hit your boat while you were pulling it or ran off the road into your garage and totalled it......his insurance is responsible. No question on it. Go after his insurance and find a lawyer with a "free consultation" to talk it over with. Then you are "prepared for battle" in the eyes of the insurance company. If you use phrases like "my lawyer has advised me to...." and "my lawyer will be seeking full replacement value and legal compensation as well as 'other damages'....". By law, you are entitled to more than anyone ever really tries to get without a lawyer. If they see you are serious about taking things to court if necessary, they will be ready to deal. Just don't seem in a hurry to get your boat back, or they will try to "short sell" you. Have your ducks in order and make sure you are the one controlling the direction of the conversation, or they will try to bully you and tell you "what they are going to do" and "what you will receive". Don't play their game - play yours and you will get exactly what you deserve: full equal replacement or more - nothing less. Good luck and keep us posted.

(How do I know how this works?? I have two brothers that work in auto claims with a major insurance company that gave me this advice when my truck got totalled. I took it and ended up with a new truck and never stepped foot in a court room or paid a single legal fee.)

Man I'm glad you were not hurt....hopefully the insurance comes threw they should if everything is liget. Hopefully you make out well because it's hard to be compensated for the time you invested in working on it. I have way more time than money so when something like this happens it's always a hard blow eve when insurance covers it.

I remember seeing your boat/motor in another post and saying nice little rig.
I don't know about insurance claims.
I would think as he is in fault,his insurance would cover.
I think the boat/motor should be covered plus time lost on the water...
Good to hear everyone is okay.

Still depends on what State, In a no fault state the insurance will only pay 500.00. All great advice but depends on what state..

I think thing to remember here is that we should all have our boats covered to get them repaired or replaced in the event
that something like this happens.
My boat /trailer are covered by an add on to my auto coverage so I am covered while trailering my boat

Hope all ends well, but here in Texas there are so many now that don't have insurance and never will but still drive, and your on your own here, unless you have uninsured motorist insurance. That happened to my cousins brand new truck only 2 months old, a uninsured ------ hit him and his insurance had to pay and he missed 2 months off work with a broken leg, good luck to ya.

thanks for all the great input guys =D>

Im in Florida and I have legal representation.

I have receipts, bill of sale, and online proof of purchase (amazon) showing that I have spent over $2,100 on the boat, motor, trailer, parts, hardware, etc. I am missing receipts for about $200 worth for fish finder, motor repair parts, homemade trailer PVC guide on parts, plywood, and carpet.

You will be just fine! I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and the other drivers insurance took care of everything and was fair. Florida is a no-fault state but that doesn't mean no one is at fault. It has to do with PIP. You will be fine!

good news with a happy ending. I got a check today from the other party's insurance company, over $2200. within about $100 of what I had in it. took a few weeks but Im very pleased.

the insurance company did not tell me if they would be picking up all the damaged items. guess its up to me to get it to the scrap heap :wink:

Latest posts