Boat paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusjack

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience ( good or bad) using the duplicolor paint products sold at autozone and advanced auto?? When I was purchasing the self etching primer I saw they had automotive paint in about a quart size container. The colors were limited but they had a nice red that caught me eye. I think it was $26 or so and that would be plenty to paint this boat. Any info would be appreciated.

I used it on one boat motor I painted to try to save some guy some money and I swore I'd never use it again, it saved him $20 and I had to color sand and buff the entire thing because the clear coat was fuzzy and it doesn't adhere as well as something like base coat. It didn't look bad once I got it done but when the guy went to put decals on he had to remove them and it pulled alot of paint of with it. So I have to repaint it. I'm very picky about prep work and don't have any doubts on my part of it, I can paint a hood with base coat and once it's dry put duct tape on it press it on good and rip it up and paint won't come off. In my opinion if you want quality paint like cars have use base coat.

Drill Sargeant! HOOOAH!

I was looking into that myself, I acutally used it to paint my old jeep last year and it came out ok for a rookie with a spray gun. I am happy with the results, but I did sand, tack, prime, sand, tack, paint, sand, tack, paint again....

I know the color you speak of too!!! Nice choice!

All The Way!

you recognized the pumkin patch? good deal.. I too have spent a good deal of time prepping the boat, just needed some opinions on the paint itself. Thanks

I'd spend the extra money and go with a regular topside paint. I had good luck with easypoxy https://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=45

I hit the jackpot! Walmart had Rustoleum, in the color I wanted, for $5.00 a quart. I got some mineral spirits to thin it with and will try that for the outside of the hull. Heck of a lot cheaper than the duplicolor kit at $22/quart here in Maine.

rgpemt said:
I hit the jackpot! Walmart had Rustoleum, in the color I wanted, for $5.00 a quart. I got some mineral spirits to thin it with and will try that for the outside of the hull. Heck of a lot cheaper than the duplicolor kit at $22/quart here in Maine.
i used rustoleum on the inside of my boat and was not happy with it at all,hope you have better luck with it $22/quart thats ridiculous, but i have had good luck with the duplicolor, never used it on a boat, a few years ago i ran through a bunch of road paint that the crew forgot to put down cones for and realy did a number on my truck, i used duplicolor to fix it,hoope this helps

I used Duplicolor Self-Etching Primer in the rattle cans to do my boat. I was satisfied with it. Ended up spending more money using rattlers than if I would have sprayed it.

rgpemt said:
Rustoleum is even worse then Duplicolor. There's a reason it's only 5.00 a qaurt. Rustoleum can be removed by running your finger nail across it with little to no pressure. Base coat is the only way to paint in my book.

I saw this last week and ment to speak up. I used a paint called Mars Pro. I was told it is used on metal boats up north. But any way it has been an excellent paint, could not be happier. It was also cheap I thought about 12.00 a pint. I needed only 1 pint. I steel flexed the bottom and a 1/4 up the sides. I only painted the outside of the boat.

This is a good find because i was gonna get self etching primer and red rustolum to paint the outside hull of my v bottom fiberglass

You will still need the self etching primer, I used the rattle cans.

Go on line to Home Depot and you will find MARINE Topcoat paint which is what I used on my boat. Looks beautiful and won't scratch off ! =D>

Grey24.jpg

Grey10.jpg

Grey5.jpg

Latest posts