First ride of the season

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellio5

Reaction score
This post is kind of useless without pics but I made it out for a test run with my boat today and everything went pretty well except I was to busy to get any pics. The trim tabs I made and installed worked great with just me on board without any shifting of gear around or weight transfer top speed per the gps with me and all the gear I would ever need for fishing and more was 18mph plenty of fast enough and I have power to spare for my little 14 foot. With 2 people and the tabs pulled up I also hit 18MPH so the tabs do take away some speed but it's worth it to be able to see. I did find that I do not need them with two people on board so I'm going to modify them a bit and make them so I can pin them all the way up when I have two people in the boat. My new to me 15HP 1985 Evinrude started on the first pull and the Garmin Nuvi with the Lakemaster chip worked great for everything I need it to do. I didn't bring my fishing poles with because it would have turned into a much longer test session. It was pretty darn windy today as well which was kind of nice actually to see how it handles in higher winds and it was fine if I was fishing on a day like today I would tuck into a bay or less windy area to actually fish but I buzzed across the roughest part of the lake and it was fine going from point A to B. The only downer was I broke my trolling motor mount on the way in....took about 2 hours of putzing tonight and I think I've got it stronger now than it was from the factor I just can't move it up and down.

I also fired up my 58 Johnson 10HP this morning and it started right up and I ran it in my tank for 30 minutes making sure everything worked....I have two motors ready to go BRING ON THE FISHING.

jellio5,
you're a brave man. I thought it was still chilly up in Duluth. I'm down in the twincities and I'm still waiting for my first ride, in this state anyway. I did some fishing in TN. last week. What a climate change, temps were already in the 70-80s, LOL.
Anyway, I should be getting my boat out of storage next week. Hopefully we get some consistent warmer air temps and then water temp should rise.
I seen you're rig in another thread. Nice setup. I picked up another motor too last Fall. I can't wait to run her. Enjoy the boating season.
jasper

Up here you have to plan ahead and look for a two hour window during the day if it's nice cause it won't last long.....raining cats and dogs right now. Glad I went yesterday.

Latest posts