back fire

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
I have a 02 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke, I had it running in a barrell, it kept stalling out at idle and at full throttle after 40 seconds it would back fire(twice) than purr like a kitten for 2 minutes than back fire again. I replaced the oil filter, gas filter and plugs, it nows idles but still has the back fire, any ideas?

carbs maybe? Get some star-tron and Fuel stabilizer and system clear from BPS or somewhere around you and see how that works.

It has fuel stabalizer from the winter, whats the other stuff your talking about, does it desolve gunk? I was told it could be the tiny screens in front of the carb.

Check your pickup tube or fuel strainer in your fuel tank. It may be getting gas for two minutes as it runs on the the fuel in the fuel lines. Then as the fuel runs out it backfires unclogging the pickup tube in which it takes another two minutes to run the fuel dry in the line again. If you have another tank try some fresh fuel.

shamoo said:
It has fuel stabalizer from the winter, whats the other stuff your talking about, does it desolve gunk? I was told it could be the tiny screens in front of the carb.

If that is gas from when you winterized it to store it for the winter, get some fresh fuel and see if maybe that helps the issue. Yeah you can stabilize it but it is still old fuel, probably ethanol blended, try a fresh source to see. If it is sucking up seperated fuel (alcohol) that would explain the backfire and you would be running lean. Not healthy at all for the pistons.

Bufford

Dropped off the Lowe and mighty 9.9 at the dealer to have her cough looked at :(, after talken to the mechanic I found out they reccommend a water pump every 3 years (did not know this). I'm waiten patiently for the results, I hope she isnt too sick [-o<

just for future reference impeller($10-$25)/water pump(full housing about $50) replacement takes about 20 minutes, and one wrench. you are going to be charged over $120 for that work. Called 3 shops here in San Antonio, TX before doing it myself and they wanted as much as $180 to do this. So I bought the part and got advice from people on here/watched videos on youtube.

After you do it one time it takes about 10-15 minutes.

Honky Tonkin said:
just for future reference impeller($10-$25)/water pump(full housing about $50) replacement takes about 20 minutes, and one wrench. you are going to be charged over $120 for that work. Called 3 shops here in San Antonio, TX before doing it myself and they wanted as much as $180 to do this. So I bought the part and got advice from people on here/watched videos on youtube.

We can do this Mr Moo. I have a toolbox filled with tools :mrgreen: We can also bug my buddy John for help. :D

bcritch said:
Honky Tonkin said:

We can do this Mr Moo. I have a toolbox filled with tools :mrgreen: We can also bug my buddy John for help. :D
Crap!!!! I'll remember that Mr. Bill

Received word concerning the mighty 9.9, not good!!!! The carb was messed up with gunk and pieces of rubber from the fuel line,(dang ethonal), prognosis clean carb, drain gas, take out gas tank and clean,(I think they have to take the deck off), run new fuel lines, put a different type of Yamaha fuel filter in (to keep contaminants from getting to carb)and replace water pump. $600.00.

They had the boat for 2 weeks before they looked at it (busy)and its going on another 2 weeks since the go ahead to fix.

Latest posts