LoweHusky 18' flatbottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoiler

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, Found this site by searching for jon boat modifications...that was three weeks ago. I found that I quickly got hooked and have'nt left. I really like how everybody is so willing to help and share there builds with each other. With that being said I would like share with everyone my jon boat mod. This is the first boat I have ever owned and plan on building in to a bowfishing boat/all around fishing boat. I bought this boat 4-6-11 and have made pretty good progress on it considering I have two very young "helpers". I have taken pics thru out the build just not sure if I post a few here and there or post all to sow where I am to date. Thank you and I look forward to comments and or suggestions. SORRY FOR THE PICTURE QUILITY IN THE BEGINING THEY GET BETTER AS THE BUILDS GO ON.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,676
Well the first thing I did was have my brother who is a welder help me build a shooting platform that will attach to the bow of the boat. It will he raised 12 inches above the bow and will be removable with with 4 pins. We made the platform with a seat so my two sons can sit down and still be elevated while fishing. the floor is going to be marine grade plywood/carpeted.It is 5 x 4 and has about 18" rails around it.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3,631
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 3,631
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 3,631
Will be watching closely! am building my 16 foot for bowfishing/fishing also and am looking for ideas!

Keep the pictures and everything coming!

I just finished the trailer yesterday. It was in really good shape already but Im redoing the whole boat so I decided why not do the trailer too. I wired wheeled the whole thing then powerwashed it. Next day I primered it and the following day painted it gloss black. Some treated lumber and some indoor/outdoor carpet and I was finished. It turned out great. Sorry all these pictures are so crappy but I took them all with my cell phone

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 3,575
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 3,575
From some reason the picture of the trailer all finished didn't attach to the last thread. Here it is.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 3,571
I love the removable bowfishing deck! What kind of lights are you going to use and how many?

Dont' bother with the Marine Ply. Just get some good exterior ply and put a couple coats of spar urethane on it.

I don't have the heart to tell him about he Treated wood...someone else do it!

When I bought this boat it had the worst camo paint job on a boat I had ever seen. I tore the floor out and pretty nuched junked everything even the nav lights. Here are some pics of the boat after I gutted it and set the shooting platform up on some 4x4's about where it will be. Also in these pictures you can see that I am stripping all the old paint off it. That proved to be alot harder than I origanally thought it was going to be.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3,564
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3,564
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 3,564
Wow that trailer looks great!

I would love to see more of the deck and how you made it removeable.

Listen to reedjj. Treated wood will pit aluminum since it has chemicals in it that react to aluminum. Better to stay far far away from treated wood.

Thanks for the comments on the shooting platform, it definitly turned out awesome. A friend of mine is building me the lights I think there called Halides. I seen his and I know they are 400 watt and they have 30,000 lumans. When we held a 500 watt halogen on the wall and then turned the halide on you could no longer see the halogen. They are super bright and I love the fact that they are only 400 watt. I'm going to run 2 on front and 1 on each side of tha platform. Now someone please tell me about the treated wood on the trailer.

Wow thats a shame. Sure wish I would have known that before I finished the trailer. Do you guys think I should redo it?

Here are some pics of the oustide of the boat when I was priming it and one with it all primed. Also the platform primed. Everything got two coats.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 3,548
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 3,548
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 3,548
Here's a veiw inside. A few days after the primer was finished I started the first coat of Khaki tan.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3,533
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3,533
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 3,533
Spoiler looking good! Keep it up!

Not sure if i read it or not but what are you putting on the back end of this puppy?

looking awesome, nice big boat and that shooting platform is going to be great, cant wait to see more progress
good work man

Two coats of Khaki tan with my dads sprayer and a huge comressor now cover the whole inside and outside. Spraying it that way was awesome and turned out great. Then it was time to put on my very inexpensive camo paint job. I took a piece of 1/2 in. pvc pipe and sprayed it with rustoelum camo "forest green". Then I went back and held the pcv pipe in the same spot as the first time and use "earth brown". After it was all done I went over it with two coats of clearcoat. Heres a couple of pics of the bottom finished.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,379
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,379
Well these are the last two picks I have so far. I have a bunch more to do it still. I will have the camo on the inside done tomorrow. Then it's going to be on to the floor and my dry storage boxes. After that eveything will get carpeted along with the floor of the platform. Then I get to do the fun stuff. I have all new nav lights, seats, fishfinder. Thanks for checking out the build. Please...if anyone has any suggestions Im wide open. Like what to do about the trailer. leave it or change it?

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,374
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,374
I did some more painting today and I almost finished but was very limited on time "daddy duties". After posting the prior photos I took with my cell phone I relized how terrible they were. From here on I will use my camera, much better. I probably would have used it from the begining If I would have found this site earlier. Please give me some feedback.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg