2001 5HP Mercury 2-Stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbm2240

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question i'm hoping the experts on this website can help with....

I have a 2003 lowe 1236 rated for up to 10HP. I've been looking at motors for about a month and just purchased this 2001 5HP Mercury 2-stroke. I got a great deal and is in excellent shape...

However, I took it out for a test run tonight and though the motor ran well, it didn't have near the power needed to plane out the boat. I didn't expect to win any races, but really hoped it would push along a little better.

The question is: Would raising the transon height another inch or two (in turn raising the motor up) help it to plane out a little more? It seems to me the prop is too low for my boat? It is a short shaft motor. Any thoughts or tips? Their is a pin that can be pulled and adjusted on the motor, but it seems as though that is to adjust the pitch/angle of the motor, not the height. I have a link to the full conversion of my boat here if you want to take a look... I know it added a lot of weight, but was neccessary for the amount of bass fishing I do: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19196

Thanks! Sean

IMO I don't think you'll get it to plain with a 5HP motor. Before changing anything major I would try messing with the trim angle first (the pin you mentioned) moving the pin out will lift the bow and moving it in will push the bow down. Here's a good example of what moving it in and out will do. If you can't get the results you want with this then you could look at adding a mini jack plate. Hope this helps.

tilt.jpg

Jellio5 - thanks for the info. I did get out on the boat again yesterday and moved the pin all the way down, it helped a little. You are correct, the 5hp just doesn't have enough power to fully plane the boat. I also ran wire to the front of the boat and moved the battery to the front. That seemed to help with the weight distribution to keep the bow down more. It picked up a little more speed this way.

Thanks!

Latest posts