Need some help putting carpet down on my jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVTOFISH

Reaction score
I have a 14ft jon boat and i have already used the 3m77 and 90 and it seemed like it was gonna hold well.Once it got wet that was it as the carpet just peeled up like an orange.Is there any other glue people have used here that is waterproof?The only other thing i can think of is liquid nails but i want to be able to replace it when it wears out.I know with the liquid nails it's almost if not permanent.

If anyone has used a good glue please let me know as i need some help on this problem.The second thing i was thinking was a piece of plywood on the deck and the back and then just glue the carpet and throw a few screws in it also to it but i don't want my boat to be to heavy.I only have a new 9.9 2stroke yamaha on it.Thanks for any help.

On my boat I have now there was already brown carpet in the floor so I just cut a piece of plywood the same size and glued my grey carpet to it with "outdoor carpet glue" and just laid it on on top. The glue is what they use on patios.
My boat stays under my "boat port" aka "car port" I built next to my house, so its out of the weather all the time except when i go fishing, which I am getting ready to do now when I finish this reply, jus' sayin'

I used 3m90 for the hydromat on my boat.. granted, it's not carpet, but it hasn't peeled up at all and my boat sits out in the weather uncovered...

the "best" stuff that I've seen used for carpet is Henry carpet adhesive... You can get this stuff at Lowe's. Bassboy1 I think uses this on all of his builds - https://www.wwhenry.com/content.aspx?id=127&View=Product&cID=79&pID=89

I have heard of that stuff before but i also heard it takes days to dry.Is this true or does it dry rather quick.Is it waterproof to?I was under the inpression the 3m was one of the best but i have used it twice and it has not held up.Maybe i need to put a ton of it on.I just used enough to cover the aluminum and the back of the carpet and it seemed like it was on there like a rock.As soon as a little rain hit it that was it as it just peeled up.I will have to check out that henrys carpet glue today i guess.

Thanks guys for the tips.

The Henry adhesive works well. I got mine from Lowes. Just make sure it's outdoor carpet adhesive. It does take a while to dry so you probably wouldn't want it to get soaking wet for at least a week. Read the directions.

Just got done making a drop in raised rear deck on my Grumman 1467SP, and used the Henrys Outdoor carpet stuff.
It's take about a day to dry & get rid of that "tacky" feel, and can says to stay out of direct water/rain for 5 days.

grummantopsideview.jpg

"best" stuff that I've seen used for carpet is Henry carpet adhesive... You can get this stuff at Lowe's

THIS STUFF WORKS

would staples not do the job? everything ive built that had wood and carpet has lasted just fine and looks great with stretched tight carpet and staples.. has nobody else gone this route? i never thought it would be an issue, maybe im wrong and glue is the way to go.. i havent done a boat yet

Driftingrz said:
would staples not do the job? everything ive built that had wood and carpet has lasted just fine and looks great with stretched tight carpet and staples.. has nobody else gone this route? i never thought it would be an issue, maybe im wrong and glue is the way to go.. i havent done a boat yet

I USE A COMBO OF GLUE AND STAPLES, THE STAPLES HOLS IT TILL THE GLUE DRIES, NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS

BOB350RX said:
Driftingrz said:

I USE A COMBO OF GLUE AND STAPLES, THE STAPLES HOLS IT TILL THE GLUE DRIES, NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS
i also used s/s staples and glue. no problems.

I JUST USED AN OLD FASHIN MANUAL STANLEY WITH STAINLESS STAPLES 5/16" LONG HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM

Latest posts