V-boat modification - need input

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejson

Reaction score
HI all,

First off, I'd like to say, if this is the wrong forum for this, let me know and I'll delete the post(if I can) and post where it should be.

I'm here to ask some questions before I venture out and buy my project boat.

I see most people are building with lumber. I was wondering how difficult it would be to build framing with metal(lighter?), and which that would be? Aluminum I'm assuming? This is how most factory boats are built correct? This will hold up well right?

I'm coming in 100% newbie to this, but would like to build something nice and light. I have a 25 hp motor right now, and don't really want to upgrade... and I'm looking to take all summer/winter to do this, and have it ready for next season.

If I pick up a 3 bench seat boat, can that be converted to a floor with pedestal seating, livewell, some storage, and casting deck? Is the casting deck enough to maintain th stability in the boat if I remove all 3 bench seats? Will the boat holdup in waves etc?

Thanks for any input you can provide, hopefully I can add to the threads that have completed projects in the near future :D

Thanks!
Mike.

mikejson said:
HI all,

First off, I'd like to say, if this is the wrong forum for this, let me know and I'll delete the post(if I can) and post where it should be.

I'm here to ask some questions before I venture out and buy my project boat.

I see most people are building with lumber. I was wondering how difficult it would be to build framing with metal(lighter?), and which that would be? Aluminum I'm assuming? This is how most factory boats are built correct? This will hold up well right?

I'm coming in 100% newbie to this, but would like to build something nice and light. I have a 25 hp motor right now, and don't really want to upgrade... and I'm looking to take all summer/winter to do this, and have it ready for next season.

If I pick up a 3 bench seat boat, can that be converted to a floor with pedestal seating, livewell, some storage, and casting deck? Is the casting deck enough to maintain th stability in the boat if I remove all 3 bench seats? Will the boat holdup in waves etc?

Thanks for any input you can provide, hopefully I can add to the threads that have completed projects in the near future :D

Thanks!
Mike.

Yes you can build with aluminum (use 6061). Check out Bassboy's builds. He pretty much wrote the book on building with aluminum. Makes nice trolling pedal trays too I suggest getting one from him if needed. (American Made!)
Yes a 3 bench boat can be converted but keep in mind that the seats can be structural members so removing them will weaken the boat. If you do remove them you'll need to design your framing to replace what was removed. It might be easier to just use the seats as part of your framing. Good luck Mike.

beerman

mikejson said:

It would not be difficult at all to build with aluminum. Lumber is used most often because it is cheap, lightweight, readily available, and very easy to work with. Given the right sealer, wood is a very good framework. Aluminum is also very good since it holds up to the outdoor elements very well.

mikejson said:
I have a 25 hp motor right now, and don't really want to upgrade... and I'm looking to take all summer/winter to do this, and have it ready for next season.

Given the size boat you get, a 25hp should push it just fine. There are a lot of guys that run up to a 14’ boat with only a -10hp motor to keep within restrictions. If you were to get something in the 14’-16’ range, that 25hp should do quite nicely.

mikejson said:

Yes, no, maybe…

Pretty much any basic aluminum boat can be built into any fishing machine of your choice. On the same note, any basic aluminum boat can also be hacked creating a safety hazard for its occupants.

With the right amount of planning, you can add a floor, pedestal seats, a front deck, live well, and casting deck and still have a very safe, sturdy boat.

One thing to keep in mind is that the boat was designed to be simple, strong, and functional. By removing seats, adding weight, and changing the structural integrity, the boat will perform quite differently than stock. As you think through the mods you want to do, keep in mind that for all the seats and foam you take out, you need to re-install the support somewhere/how else.

I got a line on this boat... which might be better for what I'm doing...

Can this boat be stripped down to bare bones you think? Seems it has the base floor ready for what I want, I'd just have to build up ontop of it.

I might be able to pick this up cheap in town...

Can anyone tell me, is that gunwale the support system for the boat? I wouldn't mind removing it to build something a touch lower(to create a lip).

I also attached a picture of the back end...

Can anyone tell me how to go about putting a new motor on there... do those holes always sit a standard width? If not, do I replace that piece of wood? Should I weld a peice of metal on there? My Merc 4-stroke 25hp EFI fits without any wood panel like that on my current boat. Are the transoms thicker now? or??? Why is it like that?

Thanks for all the answers... I'm a total noob at this... don't wanna drop $$ on something that won't work out for me...

But I wanna put the pressure on this guy if this boat is worth it.

Thanks!
Mike.

Attachments

• HPIM4006.JPG
    HPIM4006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 796
  • HPIM3999.JPG
    HPIM3999.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 796
  • HPIM4009.JPG
    HPIM4009.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 796
Hey Mike - Welcome to TinBoats.

That boat has a lot of "POTENTIAL" - Which is code for "Will take a lot of work to get her to the point where I can proudly show her off."

People buy a lot of old things (old houses, old cars, old furniture, old boats, etc.) because they see the "potential" of what it can be without realizing the effort it will take to get it there. You're gonna have to take into consideration whether you have the time, inclination,experience, location, tools, skills and money to bring out her potential. She looks like a lot of different mods have been done over the years, which ain't necessarily a bad thing. I am far from an expert, but that looks to me like a steering cable looped out from the motor - so, does the steering work?

You said you're totally new to this - everybody is at one time or another. I ain't trying to scare you off, I just don't want you to get started on a project, then get frustrated because you realize you're in over your head. For a first time at mods, I would recommend starting with an essentially bare hull jon boat, v-hull or flat bottom, depending on where and how you plan to fish. Then, you can bring your mods out from the basic boat and know exactly what you're dealing with.

I pretty much want to do just thought with this boat. I don't really care if the steering works on this one... I want to convert it to tiller anyway.

I basically want a boat I can strip down to just the hull(this one might leave the gunwale on it, and possibly the floor framing) and build from there.

I have the time(want to do this over a 2 yr period), I'm motivated(wife won't let me buy the deep boat I want... but will let me pick up a project :D)... should have most of the tools or I have access to them. I might not have the skillset... but I can do anything with time :p

I'm obviously going to take a good hard look at it before I buy it, but some questions I have wouldn't be answered by me looking at the boat. Like the question about the transom. I see all the previous mounted stuff there, and I would be putting a 25hp on this, and bow mount trolling motor, so I definitely wouldn't want the kicker mount, and the engine has that piece of wood on there, I don't know the reasoning behind that, thoughts?

I'm hoping I can pick this up cheap, so if I don't get much out of it, at least I got a usable trailer and can sell the motor.

Thanks for all your input everyone, and keep it coming...

Great resources on this site.

Mike.

If you have the time and budget then I think this boat could be a good start. I like that it appears to be complete and not missing anything major. Does everything work? How's the trailer? The last thing I would want is someone's "project" that looked more like a hull full of loose parts. Good luck with your decision

funny my wife had an opposite opinion...she asked me to get rid of my first project boat (1985 Tracker 15) and buy the new boat I have now.

dr_beerman said:
If you have the time and budget then I think this boat could be a good start. I like that it appears to be complete and not missing anything major. Does everything work? How's the trailer? The last thing I would want is someone's "project" that looked more like a hull full of loose parts. Good luck with your decision

funny my wife had an opposite opinion...she asked me to get rid of my first project boat (1985 Tracker 15) and buy the new boat I have now.

Hah, I wish she would just let me buy something... then I could use it RIGHT NOW!!

But, as I said, I got a boat for now, I'm thinking next year I could have this one in the water... put some TLC into it until then.

Being this is my first rodeo, I just wanted to see what you pro's thought of the boat.. and if it's feasible for me to take on an old boat like that for what I want to do with it.

Ideally, I'd like this boat to turn out like a typical 16foot tiller, with livewell, casting deck, some storage and 3 pedestal seats. I believe it's hull is structured similar... but would love a more "trained" eye's point of view.

Say, like the new Lund Fury...

https://midmainemarine.com/Page.asp...ails/2011-Lund-Aluminum-1600-Fury-Tiller.aspx

I'm far from any expert opinion, but I seen at least one mod on this forum for a wide deep V like you have there. Unfortunately, I can't find the link.

I'm on board with potential you got there. That would make a stable platform and plenty of room. My only concern is you mentioned earlier using a 25hp motor that you already have? If that's still the case, it would be under powered in my opinion. Of course, you could sell that motor that comes with the boat (assuming it runs) and buy a big tiller.

Just my 2 cents.

jasper60103 said:
I'm far from any expert opinion, but I seen at least one mod on this forum for a wide deep V like you have there. Unfortunately, I can't find the link.

I'm on board with potential you got there. That would make one very stable platform and plenty of room. My only concern is you mentioned earlier using a 25hp motor that you already have? If that's still the case, it would be under powered in my opinion. Of course, you could sell that motor that comes with the boat and buy a bigger tiller, assuming it's runs.

Just my 2 cents.

I was definitely going to sell the motor that is currently on it, and use my 25 for the time being... while I hunt for a new tiller.

My long-term goal for my fishing needs is to have a 16 ft tiller with 40hp to fit wife, kid, dog, myself for fishing trips... with some space to spare :D

As long as my 25hp can plane out and keep a decent pace(say 20mph)... I'm happy for a long while... I'd invest later on when the wife loosens her death grip on my wallet!

I'm assuming as long as I keep weight in mind when building, I should be able to make this boat into something my 25 can push decently...

Worst comes to worst... I'm not selling the boat I currently run until I'm comfortable with what I built... if that means getting a 40hp... so be it :D

Again thanks for the input!
Mike.

Latest posts