wooden skiff project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We applied the last coat of paint today, and installed the seats, oarlock brackets, and bow eye. Cell phone pics under flourescent lights, so they're not that great. Now all we need is a float-test. :)

95_25_05_11_4_14_46.jpeg

95_25_05_11_4_15_21.jpeg

95_25_05_11_4_15_49.jpeg

Primer: Interlux Prekote (1 coat)
Exterior/Interior color: Interlux Kensington Gray (2 coats)
Bottom/Waterline: Interlux Fire Red (2 coats)
Gunwale/Seatriser rails/Seats: Minwax Golden Oak stain (1 application) & Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (2 coats)

That looks absolutely awesome WW. I am sure the kids will take this experience with them for the rest of their lives. Great job =D>

Thanks :) . It suprised me when I learned how many kids didn't understand the basics of hand-sanding with the grain, or how to lay-down some primer/paint.............but they do now. :) . I mentioned to them that a piece of wood used for a sanding block probably feels much different in their hand than a video game controller, and they just looked gave me a weird look.
headscratch_shrug_smilie.gif
. Aside from that, they're looking forward to possibly building another one next year. :)

Yep, crushed them, they didn't float so well, handled worse. He tried to keep them under 10' long since that's how wide the CC is. Has a 4hp Merc to move it and just wasn't happy with the results. His punts felt wider than long.

I offered to do a jetski mod to the 10' but he won't let me...

Jamie

Looks great WW. I didn't see it, but do you have a finished weight on it?

Thanks, Brine. No finished weight on it, but two of my students can easily pick it up and rotate it, with one person at the stern, and one at the bow. We've done it numerous times during the construction and painting tasks. Wish I has a convenient way to weigh it. I'm guessing maybe it weighs 150 lbs possibly.

Float-test conducted today, and no leaks! We left the boat at the pond after the first run, and each class (1 student at a time) afterwards got a chance to take the skiff around the small pond located on school property. I took it out a couple of times and it handles really great. I paddled from the middle seat and it sits nice and level. :)

Portage to the pond:
normal_skiff_portage.jpg

My boss taking his turn. The skiff turns on a dime when paddling from the rear seat:
normal_skiff_28129.jpg

Thanks. The skiff is at the school, sitting on sawhorses and covered, and when school rolls around again in August, we plan on starting a local raffle for it, or selling it, and the money will be used for another skiff project.

Latest posts