Calling the welders!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of the welders on the site have pictures of any of the boxes, rod holders, consoles, anything you've rigged up in your rig? Im getting starting welding and am looking to put together a rod/storage box for my rig and want to see how yall are putting them together so they still open and what not. Also looking for anything else yall are welding as well.

Thanks guys any pictures help!

Thanks

F2k

Have any specific questions? I am a fabricator by trade but I have not built anything for my boat per say but if you have any questions I would be more than willing to help you out.

Im just looking for anyone thats built boxes for their rig.

I like my boat but im wanting to make it look at the excel f4 since it has storage. Of course i wont be making the back seats into storage since it has foam in them.

Also I was wondering how hard it is to weld diamond plate. I love diamond plate and would love to make boxes in my boat with it

fish2keel said:
Im just looking for anyone thats built boxes for their rig.

I like my boat but im wanting to make it look at the excel f4 since it has storage. Of course i wont be making the back seats into storage since it has foam in them.

Also I was wondering how hard it is to weld diamond plate. I love diamond plate and would love to make boxes in my boat with it

What kind of welder do you have?

Tig, Mig, Stick? Most diamond plate is aluminum.

Tig, no prob, but mig, you will need that spool gun from Miller.

It melts faster so your beads will have to travel faster so you don't mess up the puddles.

Do a search for welding, shiney diamond plate is hard on the eyes. You can check out my build for some ideas on openings and welding tips, etc.

You're posting up kind of an open ended question. A better desciption of what you are trying to do will give better answers.
Jamie

Hey guys

Im welding aluminum on tig but i weld steel with a hobalt mig.

Heres is what im looking to do with the diamond plate.

I want to mix and match the f4 layout with the diamond plate and also do the deck of the picture of the all diamond plate boat.

Just looking for any tips or pictures of the beginning of the piece you welded and how it looks coming together.

Its easier to learn by watching then just going for it with ones mind

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 696
  • F4Khaki.jpg
    F4Khaki.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 696
Then see how thin a sheet of plate you can get, 1/8" or even embossed .080" if they make such an animal. Otherwise the stength to weight is going to be lopsided and you'll be overly heavy.

Jamie

Do yall think diamond plate is just over doing it? I want it light but I need it strong as well. If diamond plate isnt going to fit the bill I dont mind picking up something else

And i dont mind really getting into aluminum welding because thats what I want to learn more than me working with steel. Its not a job just a hobby.

Have you priced diamondplate? What you want to do is going to be very expensive. Welding aluminum is not something youre going to pick up by watching a couple videos online. It take ALOT of practice. What tig machine are you using?

A sheet of .080 deck and 1"x.125" angle spaded every 12" is lighter and strong enough vs. 1/4" diamond plate.

To me, shiny diamond plate has always been a sign of small penis syndrome.

Jamie

Well well well it seems that big trucks and shiney boats arent everyones things around here! haha

Well im going to try to source some .080. Just trying to keep everything light but also rigid!

Call around to your local sheet metal suppliers. Ask if they have any seconds. Or even local metal recycling yards. You can buy by the pound. Most suppliers will do cash and carry.

Latest posts