Solid Rivet Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soky72

Reaction score
I've read all the solid rivet posts on here but I still have questions. I see everyone saying they are buying rivet sets for like 12 bucks. However if you go to order rivets there are round, universal, and brazier. My boat appears to use 1/4 Brazier rivets and the sets I found on Amazon are $52 bucks. Would a universal rivet and seat get the job done? universals have a smaller head but its the shank that fills the hole anyway and they appear to be a lot cheaper.

soky72 said:
I've read all the solid rivet posts on here but I still have questions. I see everyone saying they are buying rivet sets for like 12 bucks. However if you go to order rivets there are round, universal, and brazier. My boat appears to use 1/4 Brazier rivets and the sets I found on Amazon are $52 bucks. Would a universal rivet and seat get the job done? universals have a smaller head but its the shank that fills the hole anyway and they appear to be a lot cheaper.

Order from here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivets/=d8u3g4

rivet.GIF

The thing that's going to be hard to come by is an air-hammer and the right driving bit. Make sure if you get brazier rivets you get a brazier setter. I have a standard rivet setter but had brazier rivets. It worked but it marked up the rivets.

I ended up going to Lowes and found a Air Chisel with a quick change chuck that the rivet setter fit in. Cost about $50 - $60 vs the $150+ Air Hammers. I used a 5 pound maul and a piece of rail road track as a "buck" or backing.

I'm sorry as I wasn't real clear. I can find barrier rivets but my problem is exactly what you stated and that's the lack of barrier set bits or setter. Found one on amazon.com but it was 52 dollars and they had a standard and modified bit.

soky72 said:
I'm sorry as I wasn't real clear. I can find barrier rivets but my problem is exactly what you stated and that's the lack of barrier set bits or setter. Found one on amazon.com but it was 52 dollars and they had a standard and modified bit.

https://www.automotivetoolsonline.com/Ajax-Tools-1611-Rivet-Setters-14-Mod-Brazier-Head-A1611_p_7490.html

Brazier Rivet Setter for $12

Latest posts