towing a boat question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
i have a 2001 2.5 liter 4 cylinder ford ranger and i am wondering if this has enough power to pull a mirrocraft deep fisherman II, trailer and 15hp motor, trolling motor and battery the boat has the open floor plan(split middle seat and floor). can my truck do it or should i look for another boat

First off you should check your truck owners manual and see what the maximum tow load is, then find out how much the boat weights. It should be able to do it considering it is a light boat.

Should be fine but avoid steep ramps. I used to own a 1992 Ford Ranger with the weaker 2.3 4 cylinder (lima engine). About 90 hp. It was able to tow and launch a 15' bass boat. It struggled but was never not able to retrieve the boat from out of the water. The main thing is making sure you have traction. You need weight over the rear axle and keep your rear tires from getting wet.

You should be fine. Like stated earlier traction is the big problem, especially on steep ramps. You might have a semi hooked to a jon boat but if that ramp is wet and has algae on it your not going anywhere. If its a normal boat ramp that people use on a regular basis I wouldn't think twice about launching or towing a full on fiberglass boat with that truck.

Where I live I see some pretty amazing things at the boat ramp........

My buddy had the same truck in a similar year and I will tell you this, those trucks are tanks and will do things that you would not believe. Mud, rocks, jumping, it will do it all. Besides the fact that it will, just check to see what is the recommended towin rating and you should be fine.

I vote yes and I think it will have absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I have a 99 S-10 with a 4 banger. It towed my old boat just fine. 15' deep v with a 40 horse merc. I dont forsee any problems with the 14 footer I'm currently working on. As stated before, traction on the ramp is the issue. I have never not gotten the boat out of the water but I have spun the tires and got a little skeered several times. Just use a dry ramp if there is one and dont back into the water. Once you get past that water line, you get into some really slippery algae.

Once the water level was so low that I backed the trailer off the end of the ramp. That was fun. I had smoke rolling off those little tires but I got it out!!

No problem :!: ...make shure cooling is up to snuff (radiator) and maybe run synthetic engine oil, i'm only saying that because anything will help to reduce heating/stress on the motor's internals.And it would not hurt to flush the transmission oil too...just to be safe.
Dan

I know its off topic but this weekend at the marsh there was a guy pulling a 19 foot bay boat with a 150 johnnyude with a 80's model Nissan 4 banger.
:LOL2: I'm sure our Ranger will do fine with that little tin you have...

Aaron Lariscy said:
I know its off topic but this weekend at the marsh there was a guy pulling a 19 foot bay boat with a 150 johnnyude with a 80's model Nissan 4 banger.

Wow, that would have been a sight to see. Surely that boat/trailer weighs more than that truck. :shock:

I would certainly hope it would, since I tow my 14' boat and quads with a 1995 Saturn 1.9 SL2 5-spd.

Attachments

• SATtrailer1.jpg
    SATtrailer1.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 687
  • MyBoat.jpg
    MyBoat.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 687
  • SATtrailer.jpg
    SATtrailer.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 686
crkdltr said:
Aaron Lariscy said:

Wow, that would have been a sight to see. Surely that boat/trailer weighs more than that truck. :shock:

Better belive it and it hasn't been that long ago I saw someone towing a 20 something foot pontoon boat with one of those chrysler cross over thingies down the interstate. I have pulled one the same size with a 2011 cummins 2500 and know it had to be one heck of a ride it looked like you could have driven the car between the logs and used the car as the trailer...

I tow a 14' Grumman with a 15hp Merc 4 stroke with a 1.5L Scion and it's no problem unless there are pretty bad grades. Keep the coolant and oil fresh!

I tow my 12' G3 that has a trolling motor, 2 batteries, Ice chest, etc. I have a 1992 Toyota 4 Runner with a 22RE-4cyl. I have no problems what so ever, Pulls it like a champ. I did add a high torque Camshaft to my motor but I'm sure she would tow the boat just fine with out it.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 436
You can pull/tow a boat with just about anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inSFAL47xd8

What you really need to know is will my Ranger STOP my boat in a panic stop on wet pavement.

I tow my 14ft Fisher with a 2005 chevy colorado with the 2.8l 4cyl with no problems. I doubt you will have any also.

Latest posts