Who has the fastest tin??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem with overpowering is the insurance. if something happens, your insurance co will refuse to honor the contract. if you are at fault in any accident, you'll have more problems than you can handle. how much extra speed will an extra 5 or 10 hp give you to make it worth it?
a 14' deep v with a 40hp and your getting mid 50"s? surely you mean kph and not mph.

the problem with overpowering is the insurance. if something happens, your insurance co will refuse to honor the contract. if you are at fault in any accident, you'll have more problems than you can handle.

Considering how many people boat, accidents are far & few between.How many people really have any kind of insurance on their boat.Especially a 12 or 14 foot tin,I don't.

So how big of chance are you really taking? Not much in my opinion.

reedjj said:
I remember reading that Fenders Alweld, outboard MercJet ran around 50mph! Im sure he will chime in.

CHIME.....

Been quiet cause my motor it down for a rebuild after breaking the skirt off the back side of piston #3! It's going to be expensive for sure. :cry:

But...the fastest I've had it on GPS was 52mph. I've since loaded it down with more gear and was running about 47mph with 2 people, all my gear, 17 gallons of gas and a cooler full of beverages and snacks. That's still fast enough for me, and I still maintain that I'd rather go fish than go fast!

Now....keep in mind that I'm running a jet which loses 30% HP at the jet. Meaning my 225HP is pushing about 160HP. If I put a prop on my boat...God only knows how fast it would be, but....I'd probably run wheelies all over the lake. :shock:

My 17' tracker with a 77 Johnson 70hp will run 34 mph on gps. With 2 guys it only slows to 33 mph.
The current prop is pretty wasted tho. I found a Raker prop for it and I am waiting for it to come in this week. I will post back up but I'm thinking Ill be around 45 mph.

the reason i say that, is a flat bottom is faster than a vhull due to dynamics. there are 12-14ft flat bottoms down here with 3 cyl 40 mercs that only run 40. Also you have alot of motor hanging down below the bottom(drag). but hey if it does then congrats man. I know my flat runs about 37-40 depending on the weight in it and water conditions and that is with a hopped up 40 tohatsu. But i can also run that fast through 4 in of water. :mrgreen:

seeing that it's a tiller then you probably don't have a speedo, so how are you measuring your speed? is that gps. sorry, but I'll say what everyone is thinking. numbers just don't add up. in one post you said 50mph, then in another it's mid 50's. imo, that set up is not capable of that speed. as for insurance, well how much is that rig worth if someone rammed you on the road? got any idea how much to replace a shaft if you hit someting? I pay 300.00 per year on a new tin with a 115 optimax. it would probably cost you less than 100.00 per year. it's just silly and irresposible to run a nice boat like that without insurance. of course it's your boat and money, so whatever.

My little 1542 had the 25merc on it. That is what it was rated for, and like I said earlier it ran 31-32mph on GPS. By no means was that anywhere near dangerous or irresponsible. I would have felt completely comfortable going 10-15mph faster no problem.

I wouldnt have even thought 2x about putting a 40 hp on it if I could have found one at a decent price. That would have been 15hp over what it was rated for, and I bet it would have ran close to 45mph if set up properly.

Alumacraft is only 5hp over what its rated for and he's running a 2 stroke which is lighter than the fourstroke by alot! To me that is the perfect fit.

I would like to see a video of it running 50+!

that motor is very capable of 60 mph, IF its setup right. i believe he has to much drag hanging below his hull and a v-hull is an optimum hull for speeds do to it pushing water vs. a flat bottom gliding over the water.
as far as overpowering a boat vs insurance. I was never asked what size motor I had, They asked how much i want it insured for. also if you read that plate on the back, it says max RECOMENDED hp. just some food for thought

fastcajun said:
i gues i shouldnt have said "dont believe you" its hard to believe

FWIW, I'd say the same. My initial gut "thought" would have been "low to mid-40's". When it doesn't pass my "gut feel", I enter data into a prop slip calculator. Assuming merc max alum prop pitch of 13", gear ratio on the engine, and going 500 rpms over the high wot rpm, to hit 55mph, would be almost a negative 40% slip. I could have numbers off, so posted what i used along with result. But that is a significant descrepency, so would not get too upset when people question it or how it was measured.

Ratio: 1.83
Pitch: 13
rpm: 6000
Theoretical speed: 40
Actual: 55
Slip: -37%

I am not calling you out, in any shape or form. Just showing why people might question it.

On the overpower/liability issue: While its not hard to believe that it would be low hanging fruit for a lawyer, I can't say that I've ever read or seen where someone was sued for such a thing. But forum after forum, and no matter what boat type, everyone, including myself, warns about the issue. If someone knows of any particular case or has links to info on that, would be of interest to me.

ETA: Reading is fundamental. I just realized you were posting the same basic question Fuzzygrub. I just woke up so I was a little slow. Anyway fuzzygrub I agree exactly whith what your saying. Wouldn't negative prop slip be nice. :mrgreen:

I think your getting some bad numbers by using a negative prop slip number. I don't know if that's even physicality possible.
You have your theoretical speed number, that is the fastest that that prop hill push your boat with zero prop slip. When you factor in any prop slip your speed number should go down unless they changed how math works.

I believe that is fuzzy's point. :roll: Since a negative prop slip number is not possible, neither is 50 MPH

15 foot flat boat, 40 hp with 13 pitch prop, 6 gallons of gas, two batteries, trolling motor, tools and tackle I get up to 28 / 29 mph on gps with it trimmed out. With the trim down getting 26 mph.

Looking to change the pitch to a 15 and see if I can break into the 30's. :D

Crkdltr,

I would think you would be more around 35-40mph easy. I went from a 12 to a 14 pitch prop on my 1542 with 25hpmerc and didn't gain any more top end speed but it cruised much easier and got way better range out of 6 gallons.

How much weight do you have in decking and stuff? I had plywood floors, 6 gallons of gas, 2 batt, cooler and 2 adults and was running 31-32 in pretty much the same size boat with only the 25hp. Even in my new boat, a heavy welded G3 1756 with the 40yamaha 2 stroke Im getting 32mph.

I can only imagine what the 1542 would have done with the 40hp on it?

I agree with reedjj, it seems you should be in the 30s already. Do you know how many rpms you are turning at WOT?

crkdltr said:
15 foot flat boat, 40 hp with 13 pitch prop, 6 gallons of gas, two batteries, trolling motor, tools and tackle I get up to 28 / 29 mph on gps with it trimmed out. With the trim down getting 26 mph.

Looking to change the pitch to a 15 and see if I can break into the 30's. :D
Sweetness. It took me a couple trips to get the trim figured out on mine. And momentary switches...but I ended up with a 20 pitch Raker and it is working well. I would think a 40 could handle a 17 pitch if you have power trim....just a thought.

The boat is fairly heavy. The rear deck is made of aluminum, same thickness as the boat, carpeted, 3/4" marine plywood front deck and myself in the upper 200 pound range.

As of right now WOT RPM is about 5100 so it's pitched correctly with the max RPM being 5250. I'm waiting for the delivery of a Tiny Tach to make sure my RPM gauge is accurate.

Latest posts