Who has the fastest tin??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo at Bo's prop in Port Vincent is a very helpful guy. He let me try a brand new prop before i bought it to make sure its what i needed.

fastcajun said:
Bo at Bo's prop in Port Vincent is a very helpful guy. He let me try a brand new prop before i bought it to make sure its what i needed.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I've always wondered if prop shops would let you try before you buy.

I guess i need to get my rig in the water and see what she can do.

1648 grizzly split seats in the back and completely open hull. 1990 evinrude 40hp tiller on the rear end. Going to throw a 6 gallon tank in her and listen to her purr.

Anyone got any guesses for speed? Not sure the prop its nothing special just an aluminum prop that the last owner said was the stock pitch.

I wish It would purr like my twin 350hp yamahas on my offshore rig. Those things are perfection!

I know for sure it's not me. This morning I got the diagnosis on my motor rebuild. Looks like it's not worth rebuilding....so,

Without some BIONIC PADDLING.......I'm only hitting 2.5mph with my troller. #-o

fish2keel said:
I guess i need to get my rig in the water and see what she can do.

1648 grizzly split seats in the back and completely open hull. 1990 evinrude 40hp tiller on the rear end. Going to throw a 6 gallon tank in her and listen to her purr.

Anyone got any guesses for speed? Not sure the prop its nothing special just an aluminum prop that the last owner said was the stock pitch.

I wish It would purr like my twin 350hp yamahas on my offshore rig. Those things are perfection!

Im guessing High 30's maybe 40! It will feel like 50 though.

fish2keel said:
Im hoping with a new prop itll hit the 40 mark It just needs to get in the water already im dieing to take her out
That thing should rip!! Wet finger in the air....37. just guessing. let us know gps.

Right now a basstender 10.6 with a minn kota maxxum 55 tops out at 4mph :lol: The boat is heavy 230 pounds dry (then add in me, the battery and tackle). I hope to be upgrading to a 1997 sea nymph FM 146 with an evinrude 30hp 2 stroker soon!

1648 with 60 Johnson tiller runs 39 with a total weight of 1100 (boat, motor, battery, gas, two people). I am only turning 5300 with a 19 pitch prop. Swapping on a set of 70hp carbs next weekend and looking for a 17 pitch prop.

fender66 said:
I know for sure it's not me. This morning I got the diagnosis on my motor rebuild. Looks like it's not worth rebuilding....so,

dayme, that there sucks !!

Just curious, what is the speculation that caused the failure?

ditchen said:
fender66 said:

dayme, that there sucks !!

Just curious, what is the speculation that caused the failure?

Probably bad gas clogging the injectors and causing a detonation problem.

fish2keel said:
Who makes your 1648?
Its a 1992 Lowe riveted boat. I would like a newer welded boat, but this one doesn't leak and I don't feel bad cutting and welding on it.
379102240389.jpg

as to the legality issue- I am a second year law student taking an insurance course. So I am not an expert but I have had enough to give some general advice. You would have to look at the particular policy to see if there is a condition in it requiring hp to comply with the man. plate. Just becuase you are running extra hp does not mean that you are automatically sol under a liability policy. It also depends whether or not you had a discussion with your agent about the issue. To be 100% safe you definately would want to disclose to the insurer that you are exceeding the capacity plate rating because you know there is incentive for the insurer to say after the fact that you misrepresented information.
If a tort claim was brought against you, by overpowering your boat, you would likely lose automatically- unless you could show that the extra HP was not a factor in the accident. That's why you would like to have an insurance company to deal with your defense and losses if you are hauling a## from cove to cove.

Also in regards to insurance, someone made the comment that if someone hit you on the road and damage was done to your uninsured boat that you would not have any coverage.

This is not necessarily true. My auto insurance covers anything that is connected to my vehicle at the time of the incident, ie a boat, trailer, motorbike, car dolly or any other thing you could dream up to haul. I am sure that my insurance provider is not the only one that provides this coverage.

I am with state farm in case you are wondering.

I have a 60hp Johnson on my 1648. This motor weighs 254 pounds. I removed the wood in the transom, rebuilt it with extra knee braces, and plated the whole thing with 1/4" aluminum. Then I added floatation pods.

379102240389.jpg

Pods.jpg

^not the 60hp^

The needle stuck in my middle carburetor and I melted the middle piston on my 60hp a couple of months ago. Rather than paying 1100 or buying 600 worth of parts to rebuild this motor I started looking for a replacement motor. I found a very good deal on a 1989 Evinrude 90hp. This motor weighs 314 pounds (60 pounds heavier), and I can put my tiller handle on it. I have switched from a 24v trolling motor to a 12v trolling motor, which means I can remove one battery (which conveniently weighs 60 pounds). The overall weight of the boat will not change with this motor. I plan to move the gas tank and battery up front to help my weigh distribution.

I have seen several jet boats that are 1648s and have 85-115hp powerheads; and I have no concerns that the boat will float this motor with the pods.

My buddies all tell me this will be a death trap, I think as long as you use your head when you're driving there shouldn't be any problems. What do you guys think?

My buddies all tell me this will be a death trap, I think as long as you use your head when you're driving there shouldn't be any problems. What do you guys think?

With some common sense, I think you will be fine.

Cubman said:

I would say badas* overpowered boat. I bet it will be alot of fun. Use your dome and you should be fine.

I get 28 mph with just me. Not bad for a 15 horse

BTW... I would not brake 20mph if I had not gone to Bo's Prop Shop, for whoever was wondering about that place. He totally rebuilt my old prop with a better pitch.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 443

Latest posts