leaks and paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steel flex is not a lot of work. I was a nervous wreck after reading the "Everything Steelflex" thread but its not bad at all. That being said, fixing the rivots is the best solution and then Steelflex for protection. Fill the boat with water, mark the leaky rivots and then get to rebucking. Its quite simple to do and dosnt take a lot of time.

To answer your question though, no, paint is not going to fix your leaks.

the problem with filling the boat up is, the boat i have has a factory aluminum floor in it that is rivited to the boat, and i think there is foam underneath that colllecting the water, is there a way to remove the foam with out removing the floor, how would you remove the floor anyways if i had to

If your foam is absorbing water than it definately needs to be replaced. Water weight adds up in a hurry. Your going to have to remove that floor to replace the foam and you will want the floor out to fix those leaky rivots. Just drill out the rivots thats holding your floor in. I'm assuming this floor is just rivoted to the ribs of the boat. If so, you can put it back together with simple aluminum pop rivots. I know this sounds like a lot of work but it really shouldnt be. If its not a project you want to take on right now, save it for winter. I think it could be done in a couple weekends though if you got a buddy that could give you a hand. Since its a factory floor, its a good chance it has poured self expanding foam in it. That stuff is extremely expensive. You can get your bouyancy back by using foam board or pool noodles insted of the expanding foam. Neither of those will absorb water either unless it is submerged for a really long time.

Post up some pics and you'll probably get more replies!!

Latest posts