I wanna go fast!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah thats a ton of power for these motors! And yeah I saw that they are running a jack plate. i wonder what prop there using

Notice that they also porpoise like crazy! Even with the jackplates and power tilt and trim! Its just too much power for a boat that size (I cant believe I said that).

In my quest for speed I have talked to a lot of experts. And I keep hearing that you are only going to go so fast in a jon boat no matter how much power you put on it. Too big of a motor and the weight will outweigh the benefit and be more of a hinderence than a helper.

I was told that if you want to go more than about 45 in a flat bottom/mod-V under 20 feet you are out of luck. Over 20 feet and it can handle higher hp and heavier motors like 115hp to 175hp and they can go around 50-55mph depending on setup. Of course there will be exceptions.

Thats in a flat bottom! You can however achive much faster speeds in alum hulls with a "pad" like an aluminum bass boat hull.

This is just what I have been told...I am no expert. But it does make sense. I have seen several Xpress, Crestliner, and even Tracker bass boats that will run well over 50mph with 90-115 motors. Put a 90 on a 1860 jon and it wont do near that! Its all in the hull design. The new 17 Tracker bass boat not just a 1754 Grizzly Jon boat with and interior! Its an advanced hull design.

Still......I want a 90hp 2 stroke for my 1756!

59 C.I. is a 966c.c. engine. Put things in perspective my 81 omc 50hp or the aka big twins are 747cc engines. Now to put a little more info with things.... I got a 693cc pushing a reliable 142hp on 89 octane pump gas.

There is a lot more than being disclosed fer sure!!

reedjj said:
Notice that they also porpoise like crazy! Even with the jackplates and power tilt and trim! Its just too much power for a boat that size (I cant believe I said that).Still......I want a 90hp 2 stroke for my 1756!

if you noticed, they have them trimmed up high. When I was running a tiller I had a trim switch in my hand.

Oh, I want a v4 on my 1448, but folks encouraging me to run a tripple. Those stinger2 75hp do react well with modifications :)

Ive heard that from a few people as well reedjj. It is all about hull design same as with fiberglass bass boats. Those bullet and cajun boats are going to run faster than say a regular skeeter boat(don't be offended if you have a skeeter anyone).

I think 55 in a rig like a 1648 or a 1752 would be insanely fast!

The way I like to rig my boats and all my toys(snow machine,atvs, trucks,etc) Is I like a light boat that can run fast but that is more of a finesse rig than solid power. Just like my atv I use in alaska. Its a 450 grizzly while my dad has a 750 grizzly. He has solid power but mine is alight lighter and can just be jerked and pulled and float over obstacles.

I think my 1648 may not win any races against a bullet bass boat but it should be pretty fast while being light enough to finesse around corners or a sudden tree stump. Lets hope!

Although im hearing alot about exhaust tunings and porting and considering this route to make a little more mph and keep the same weight.

Reedjj I think your boat with a 90 would be awesome! My next boat is looking maybe like a flats/bay boat with a big evinrude or mercury on the back end.

But going fast sure is fun!

Speaking of fast there is the off shore boat races next weekend in clearwater if anyone is interested. I think the girlfriend and I are going to ride down and see the pits and get some pictures with them. She loves going fast almost as much as I do

Also ditchen what trim and tilt did you use? I dont have it on my motor. I have the hydrallic assist but I really want to run a trim and tilt unit on my tiller.

Well, if I told you what I had done to my motor I'd have to kill yah. :lol: :lol: I've got an exhaust,carbs,head shaved, ported, stainless impeller, and a couple other little nick nacks here and there.
Yep I've got some vid of the Lil' Blue Rude in actions.
this is the johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeEiDHMNFk
This is the etec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqKipcwZXT0

Let me know what you think.

I got something for you guys to try to answer......I was looking at the seven marine 557 outboard engines(they are amazing!) and I got to thinking. Has anyone made a custom cowling for there outboards or know where I can find someone talking about making one? I googled and googled and couldn't find a thing.

I figured I would ask here since were talking going fast and those 557 engines are fast to say the least!

lil blue rude- Got to love those rudes! I love the etec! That has to be one of the best looking outboards out there! Its nice to see a company use a color other than black or gun metal gray for a motor also!

fish2keel said:
lil blue rude- Got to love those rudes! I love the etec! That has to be one of the best looking outboards out there! Its nice to see a company use a color other than black or gun metal gray for a motor also!
:? I'm confused which one you thinks the etec?
The blue motor is my 94 40hp evinrude (OMC) I painted it mercedes blue when I bouhgt the motor. The dark blue motor is the 60hp etec and the white motor is the 60hp johnson. The etec was on a 16' 48 ' blazer sport and the johnson was on a 17' 48" exterminator GT.

fish2keel said:
Ok can someone please tell me how big these john boats are? Thats I want my grizzly to look like! GOOD GRIEF!

https://youtu.be/SaLb0-y0Fvg
Those boats are 14-15ft boats. Richard foreman is from south La, he has been build motors forever, alot run on av gas. They also have some 10-12 ft boats with nothing in them but ribs and a 40 merc on the back. talk about fly

I dont know who you emailed and told you they were in Cali but Mr. foreman is from La and the video is from the sabine river if i had to guess. thats where they run mostly

reedjj said:
Notice that they also porpoise like crazy! Even with the jackplates and power tilt and trim! Its just too much power for a boat that size (I cant believe I said that).

In my quest for speed I have talked to a lot of experts. And I keep hearing that you are only going to go so fast in a jon boat no matter how much power you put on it. Too big of a motor and the weight will outweigh the benefit and be more of a hinderence than a helper.

I was told that if you want to go more than about 45 in a flat bottom/mod-V under 20 feet you are out of luck. Over 20 feet and it can handle higher hp and heavier motors like 115hp to 175hp and they can go around 50-55mph depending on setup. Of course there will be exceptions.

Thats in a flat bottom! You can however achive much faster speeds in alum hulls with a "pad" like an aluminum bass boat hull.

This is just what I have been told...I am no expert. But it does make sense. I have seen several Xpress, Crestliner, and even Tracker bass boats that will run well over 50mph with 90-115 motors. Put a 90 on a 1860 jon and it wont do near that! Its all in the hull design. The new 17 Tracker bass boat not just a 1754 Grizzly Jon boat with and interior! Its an advanced hull design.

Still......I want a 90hp 2 stroke for my 1756!

those boats in that video were running faster than 45, there are guys down here running 60s in 12-14ft aluminum boats. I know a guy that has a 90 yammy on a 1648 that will scream.
There are some fast boats down here in La, But thats all they are, a fast boat. not many fish out of them.

no i dont have pictures on my computer, you can look up sabine river gang on youtube. or search 50hptiller on youtube.

https://youtu.be/0JGyku_oYiY

Lil' Blue Rude said:
Well, if I told you what I had done to my motor I'd have to kill yah. :lol: :lol: I've got an exhaust,carbs,head shaved, ported, stainless impeller, and a couple other little nick nacks here and there.
Yep I've got some vid of the Lil' Blue Rude in actions.
this is the johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeEiDHMNFk
This is the etec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqKipcwZXT0

Let me know what you think.
Kinda thought I would have gotten some more comments on a outboard jets running like these do. :?

Lil' Blue Rude said:
Kinda thought I would have gotten some more comments on a outboard jets running like these do. :?

Uhm,,, you got my attention!!

My down fall on my setup is this small gear case and prop availability. More mods on hold until I get it propped correctly. I will more than likely mod the boat more and re-power it.

Latest posts