Paint Prep

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbassin2003

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 14' aluminum Crestliner I am about to start working on. Getting ready to yank out the old seats, replace the transom wood, all that good happy stuff. While I am doing that I want to get stuff ordered for the putting it back together part. My question for now is, and I am sure it's been asked 1000 times, what is the best way to prep for painting? The hull is currently bare aluminum, I know it needs the oxide brushed/sanded off but then what is the best route from there?

Self etching primer, followed by epoxy primer and a good bottom paint is the way I was thinking of going?

Also, Recommendations on best brands for the price??

Thanks,

JD

As long as you remove the oxidation and sand to make sure the primer has something to grip you'll be great. Also, self etching primer is the way to go if its bare aluminum. I used a self etching primer that was in a spray can. They are offered by the quart but if you go that route make sure to purchase the "activator" as well. Without that, its useless. It wont be able to "etch" its was in to the aluminum. As far as bottom paint goes I used steelflex on the bottom of my tin. Its a great two part epoxy that seals your boat from any leaks. If you're not gonna go that route then you're spot on with the good bottom paint. As far as brands go, rustoleum has a good bottom paint and its sold at any Lowes or Home Depot. Hope this helps. Good luck

After you used the self etching primer did you have to use an epoxy primer over the top of that??? Also what brand of spray primer did you use?

JD

Latest posts