cool weather fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
Any of you guys that keep fishing when the weather gets cooler...what if any kind of gloves do you wear or recommend? I am in PA and I am hoping that I can keep fishing until the lakes freeze. Thanks for the help.

Although it doesn't get that cool in florida I still fish every year where it does. It depends on the weather really. I like wearing those black liners usually though. Although not water proof they do keep your fingers worm. The newest pair of gloves that I wear almost every where are aircraft gloves. There green and have leather in the inside of the hand. You can buy them at almost any good army navy store or online. I would go with either of these

My friend uses those tall water proof gloves. There made with some weird material almost like a wet suit. I use them when we use fish so I can put my hands in the hole though. If thats the water your looking to fish maybe try a set of those. I think drake waterfowl makes a pair and I know bass pro shops does.

Ive been using SUG (Gloves) and i modified the pointer finger by cutting it off.. i also have a pair that isnt cut off.. they still arent as nice as no gloves but they keep me warmer through out late fall fishing.. I tend to keep a couple pairs with because once they get wet its worthless..

I fish pretty much year round. I don't fish as often in the Winter but I keep my boat inside and never winterize it so it is always ready to go. As far as gloves, I'll just find a pair of neoprene gloves and cut the pointer finger off maybe the thumb. I like the mittens that fold back to open up your fingertips also. The most important thing in the cold months are those charcoal hot pocket things. Find them on sale and buy them all. You really can never have enough of them. Put them in your gloves, boots, pockets. I sweear by them but you have to find them on sale or they get expensive.

bulldog said:
neoprene gloves

X2

i fish year round here in TN, but the winter isn't all that bad. Work often requires us to dive in less than desirable conditions and the neoprene gloves work like a champ. Go to a dive shop and check out some 1.5 mm and 3 mm neoprene gloves. They are not waterproof, but you'd be surpised at how warm your hands stay. Note, try them out at a dive shop and if they are priced too high, look online.

Like bulldog, I use my hunting gloves that have the fingers cut out and the mitten than folds over the top. The mitten holds the handwarmer so I can warm the fingers up right away. When I catch fish, I pull them off before handling it anyway so it doesn't get too wet.

Any colder than frost on everything and I don't catch much, plus they pull our docks out once it gets close to freezing the lake. :(

I'm with you Bulldog... that is exactly what I do... as has been said the big thing is keeping them dry. Back when I used Brown Jerseys, I got one of them wet and then when I grabed the gunales of the boat the gloves froze to the cold meta.......I learned to fish with one hand in my pocket that day.
stay warm

freetofish said:
I'm with you Bulldog... that is exactly what I do... as has been said the big thing is keeping them dry. Back when I used Brown Jerseys, I got one of them wet and then when I grabed the gunales of the boat the gloves froze to the cold meta.......I learned to fish with one hand in my pocket that day.
stay warm

=D> :LOL2:

i do alot of steel head fishing here in the dead of winter, i always use the cheap wool glove at wally world or similar stores, and i keep alot of them on me, a lil fyi they help land fish too they cut through the slime give yo a pretty good grip... tailed a couple 30" plus last year

The most important thing in the cold months are those charcoal hot pocket things. Find them on sale and buy them all. You really can never have enough of them. Put them in your gloves, boots, pockets. I sweear by them but you have to find them on sale or they get expensive.

Without these....I probably wouldn't leave the house in the winter.

Something else that I do is buy a couple wrist bands (like used in tennis) and put the "hot hands" under it on the inside of your wrist. It will warm the blood that is circulating into your hands and help keep the fingers just a little bit warmer. If my fingers or toes get cold...I'm DONE!

You'll never hear me complain about the heat.....but you'll hate being around me when I'm cold. :mrgreen:

I live in the Pacific Northwest and fish year round, a few years back I picked up a pair of Snow Boarder gloves, made out of Kevlar and have a Gortex liner and for the best they have Thinsulate inners. They ware like iron and keep your hands warm and dry. My purchase came by way of Cabelas Catalog sales.

Chuck

fender66 said:
Something else that I do is buy a couple wrist bands (like used in tennis) and put the "hot hands" under it on the inside of your wrist. It will warm the blood that is circulating into your hands and help keep the fingers just a little bit warmer. If my fingers or toes get cold...I'm DONE!
Interesting idea. I might try this. I've put heat on my kidney area while hunting, seems like I could hunt in an shortsleeve shirt with heat on the back. Never tried the wrists though.

wear wool fingerless gloves,and have a coleman radiant heater onboard. one of the best things I ever bought. uses propane,and has electronic ignition. instant heat,and dries and warms damp hands in no time. don't think this is made anymore,probablly have to buy used. I've found these for other people to use on boats,and they really like them.

Hey I just wanted to thank all of you for the suggestions and advice. I think I am going to try several different suggestions to see what works best for me. I think that anything that will let me pop my thumb and index finger out on my casting hand will help me...especially since I occassionally still have issues with backlashes on my baitcasting reels. :oops:

Thanks again.

I just bought a sweet pair of neoprene gloves for bass fishing last weekend. It was pouring rain all weekend so I didn't want my hands to freeze. I picked these up at wholesale sports https://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/tools-and-equipment/classics/gloves-neoprene-fish-grip

They worked perfectly. You can fold back the thumb and index finger on both hands when you want to and still put the tips of the gloves back on when you want your hands to be warmer. Being neoprene, your hands don't get very cold and if the gloves do get wet, your hands heat the water in the gloves, keeping your hands warmer. Can't complain about the price either

Latest posts