Has anyone put a casting deck on a 1636?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimeTime

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to start a project and I got this 1636 for a great deal... I'm wanting to put a casting deck on the rear and the front. Is this jon boat wide enough to do this? Has anyone done this to a 1636?

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 648
looks like you have a 14 ft. , the answer to your question is yeah you can put one on it but you want to use lightwieght materials, like aluminum or even a lighter alloy. i had a 1 ft just like yours and i put a layer of foam under some 1/4 " plywood for the bottom and put 1/2" slats under it to keep it from sagging. and for the deck in the front i used alum. brackets to support my wieght and covered it with the alum. sheeting. floated and was very stable for moving freely around the boat without fear of tipping the boat . remember lighter doesnt always mean weaker.

keep the deck as low as possible to maintain a low center of gravity. you should also base your decision on your experience/skill. if you and your fishing buddies are boat savvy and have good balance, then go ahead and deck it.
i suggest you don't make the deck permanent until you have tried standing on it in the water. if you feel it's too tippy, adjust accordingly. when you find comfortable height, that's the time to add the carpets, compartments, etc...

Latest posts