This kind of annoys me....I wonder why this is?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
I wanted to fish a couple BFL tournaments this next season as a boater. Seems, after double checking the rules, my boat isn't good enough since it's not a brand new Ranger costing 30-50K.

Some of the things disqualifying my boat.

All boats must be propeller-driven, a minimum of 16 feet in length and have a rear deck (with a seat if requested).

This one I'm OK with since I'm right at 17'. I don't have a rear deck, (but that is simple to address, or is it?) Not allowing jet boats will exclude lots of boats on this site.

All boats must be equipped with wheel steering; no other steering device will be permitted.

This one excludes me.
There are SEVERAL BOATS being offered now, that are more than tournament capable that are Tiller operated boats. From Lund, Crestliner, Tuffy, Alumacraft, etc,etc.

Fishing platforms must be factory-installed equipment. No portable platforms may be used in tournament competition

Again I don't see the point. Heck, to read this literally, even if you have a glass bassboat, and you fab a front deck extension, this wouldn't be legal.

This rule, also prevents me from adding a drop in rear deck extension.

And finally one more.....
Fuel may be carried only in factory-installed (built-in) fuel tanks. Any additional fuel used during the tournament day must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public and pumped through a hose with a nozzle.

Prevents use of 6 or 12 gallon, portable tanks. Which I may end up using. Depends on if I break down, and just install a built in tank.

There are other boating related rules too. These are just some of the ones that would prevent a BUNCH of us from fishing out of our own boat in these tournaments.
Here in Michigan they do fish some big water-St Clair, Detroit River, but they also fish the Grand River.

I realize there is a difference in Walleye and Bass fishing...But, after reading the FLW Walleye tour rules there really isn't anything that would disallow most of the boats here, that are 16' or over.

We had the same problems with the Redfish tournaments. We have won a lot of money out of my 14' until they put the 16' rule in place and min. HP restrictions. We could get into places you would never take a glass boat.

We have several spin off tournament series around here called "poor boy" tournaments. Usually they set a 30 or 40hp max. limit and you get penalized for having a larger motor. For example, if you have a 50hp, you might be penalized 1lb or 1/2 a lbs for every 10hp over the limit. I've even seen one or two that would give you a bonus pound or so for being paddle or all electric.

I believe they do this because they feel you take away some of their glitz and glamour. It is suppose to be who has the most talent not who you are or what your ride looks like. It probably has something to do with their sponsors also. Look who they are. They do not want you in a small boat. They want you in the biggest/baddest boats.

This is just my opinion

Specknreds said:
We had the same problems with the Redfish tournaments. We have won a lot of money out of my 14' until they put the 16' rule in place and min. HP restrictions. We could get into places you would never take a glass boat.

We have several spin off tournament series around here called "poor boy" tournaments. Usually they set a 30 or 40hp max. limit and you get penalized for having a larger motor. For example, if you have a 50hp, you might be penalized 1lb or 1/2 a lbs for every 10hp over the limit. I've even seen one or two that would give you a bonus pound or so for being paddle or all electric.

I believe they do this because they feel you take away some of their glitz and glamour. It is suppose to be who has the most talent not who you are or what your ride looks like. It probably has something to do with their sponsors also. Look who they are. They do not want you in a small boat. They want you in the biggest/baddest boats.

This is just my opinion
X2! I was about to post basically same thing.

x3

it would be such a shame if an angler fishing on a "humble" rig won over the big time anglers on their shiny sponsored boats.

Competition brings out the worst in mankind, add money to the thing and like was said " it would be such a shame if an angler fishing on a "humble" rig won over the big time anglers on their shiny sponsored boats."
My friends and I have call shot derby's, when you cast your presentation you have to call what species of fish you are targeting. Salmon, Trout, Large Mouth, Smallie, and so on. If by chance you hook and catch a species not call for, you lose one of your penciled in catches (catch and release angling). It gives someone bragging rights but that is all, turns out to be a blast. IMHO

Chuck

I get what your saying, but you must realize that most of the rules on boats are for safety. ever see some of the weather these guys have to fish in? yes they are getting carried away. boats must have a sponsored wrap? total b.s. I have seen tourny's where a pro would leave his shiny 21' rocket for a smaller tin to fish places in rivers that the big boats could'nt go. sponsorship is more of a big deal now because of television coverage. it's all about the bucks, but the points you bring up are mostly about safety.

The thing is, it's the bfl.

FLW's "Bass Fishing League"

There are some really good fisherman, but they sure aren't the next Kevin VanDam.
The sponsors people have at that level are usually pretty lousy as far as payback is concerned.

Entry fees are 200 for one day, or 300 for two days. As a boater. Otherwise 100/150 for a non boater.

3dees said:
I get what your saying, but you must realize that most of the rules on boats are for safety. ever see some of the weather these guys have to fish in? yes they are getting carried away. boats must have a sponsored wrap? total b.s. I have seen tourny's where a pro would leave his shiny 21' rocket for a smaller tin to fish places in rivers that the big boats could'nt go. sponsorship is more of a big deal now because of television coverage. it's all about the bucks, but the points you bring up are mostly about safety.

In that case, I think a safety inspection, much the same way as done at drag racing or solo events would be in order.

Would they not let a top FLW Walleye tour fisherman fish one of these because his 20' Lund was a tiller??

It's hard to sell $30-50K boats when a guy wins a big tourney in his $3000 home built.

1. If your boat is custom built (by you) you are the factory and thus the decks are factory installed!

2. You are the factory....So your 6 gallon portable is factory installed! There is no reason you cant fill it from the pump at the local retailer.

3. A rear bench (like jons and most tins have) is a deck! its a small deck but it is a deck! Put a pedestal seat base in it and your in business. it just says "a seat if requested" so I would say even a clamp on or throw cushion meets the requirement.

4. A trolling motor has a propeller.....So you do have a propeller driven boat. No rule saying you cant also have a jet drive, or even a sail for that matter!

5. Measure your boat from the very back of the outboard with it trimmed or pulled all the way up so the lower unit is as far reaching as it can be. Or if its an inboard jet measure it all the way to back of the nozzle. all the way to the tip of the bow mount TM.

6. Tell them you have a disability and cant work a steering wheel. Tiller is the only kind you can operate! They don't have to know your dissability is that you are just opposed to steering wheels.

You don't need to think outside the box untill you have fully exploited the confines of the box, or in this case the rules of the tournement!

It would be worth it to me to try and sign up for the tourny and arguing these rules with the officials just for fun. going as far as filing a formal protest with the organization if they don't let you fish!

You could even say your being discriminated against because you don't have a high $$$ boat.

Have fun!

I like how reedjj thinks.

I think the safety thing is BS. Really, they are not fishing in the ocean, if it gets choppy those bass boats are way more unsafe then my deep V tinny. The only thing unsafe is having a maniac in an overpowered glass boat running you over because he is adjusting his stupid face mask thing.

lovedr79 said:
WHAT? I was actually going to try a tourney next year now that my most is finished. This sucks!

This is only for FLW BFL events. You may find other tournament series events with rules you will fit into.

I checked NBAA rules and their only boat requirements were Max 250hp, and 16' long. Also had to be insured (but that is usually standard issue stuff)

My opinion is it's not worth it to enter with your tin. Those tournaments are mainly just fashion shows. I've fished some out of a tin that meets all of the specs. At least around here it's a bunch of arrogant fluckers. Fancy boats and trucks, shiny rods and reels. Majority of them can't catch a cold. It is however fun though to beat 50k rigs with 5k worth of truck and boat combined and a 5 year old fishing partner. Tournaments put a bad taste in my mouth.(insert smart comment here) I would much rather just fish. I'll admit I do sometimes time my self and track weights just for reference.

linehand said:
My opinion is it's not worth it to enter with your tin. Those tournaments are mainly just fashion shows. I've fished some out of a tin that meets all of the specs. At least around here it's a bunch of arrogant fluckers. Fancy boats and trucks, shiny rods and reels. Majority of them can't catch a cold. It is however fun though to beat 50k rigs with 5k worth of truck and boat combined and a 5 year old fishing partner. Tournaments put a bad taste in my mouth.(insert smart comment here) I would much rather just fish. I'll admit I do sometimes time my self and track weights just for reference.

I agree 1,000% with you. I know for a fact that the draw you get as a co-angler, may well be a guy that isn't any good. In which case you won't be on fish.
That's not to say that I'm great or anything, but at least signing up as a boater, your success is up to you.

Also, I feel the same way about tournaments as you do I think. But, these would be a way to get some experience on bigger waters, that I have never fished before. That is my main interest in these tournaments.

my wife and i have had the same contest going for 9 years.she may be ahead on size, but i have the edge on volume.way more fun than a sanctioned tournament any day.plus we can drink beer and weenie roast on shore whenever.and there is a bonus if i let her win :lol:

You dont need a boat to catch fish.

As for the boat restrictions. Write the sponsoring organization and tell them why you wont fish thier tournament. No doubt the "rules" were decided by a bunch of guys who needed something to do. Some people are hung up on social status. Then join a league that allows your boat. IF we all did this, and nobody paid them any attention, tehy might get the message.

The only rules I have for my tournaments is this.
The boat must pass the laws of the governing body (State, Lake, etc.).

Latest posts