Fiberglass resin instead of spar urethane?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I got some fiberglass resin laying around....can this be used instead of spar urethane. I will be using it to seal plywood deck, transom and seats.

Check out this pdf on the topic newboatbuilders.com/docs/fiberglassoverwood.pdf Just copy the link and paste it to your address bar. It's talking about wood boat building but it talks about issues with using resin over wood if water penetrates it.

JD

are you talking about epoxy or polyester resin? i'm asking since both are used with fiberglass. but the polyester doesn't work as good as epoxy when sealing wood. also, uncoated epoxy and polyester are susceptible to UV damage, so you would still have to protect it from exposure by painting over the surface or using clear varnish in case you want to show a natural wooden finish.

I used a 2 part epoxy sealer and it worked very, very well

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=73216&pdesc=Overtons_Tuff_Coat_Water_Based_Epoxy_Marine_Primer_Hardener&str=epoxy+wood+sealer&merchID=4005

J.P. said:
are you talking about epoxy or polyester resin? i'm asking since both are used with fiberglass. but the polyester doesn't work as good as epoxy when sealing wood. also, uncoated epoxy and polyester are susceptible to UV damage, so you would still have to protect it from exposure by painting over the surface or using clear varnish in case you want to show a natural wooden finish.
Not sure what kind of fiberglass resin it is. It just says fiberglass resin on the front. When you say clear varnish do you mean spar urethane?
Captain Ahab said:
I used a 2 part epoxy sealer and it worked very, very well

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=73216&pdesc=Overtons_Tuff_Coat_Water_Based_Epoxy_Marine_Primer_Hardener&str=epoxy+wood+sealer&merchID=4005
Right on, i do have a gallon of two part epoxy. It is black...id like to have the strength of epoxy with the finish of wood...whats the best way to do that?

aeviaanah said:
Right on, i do have a gallon of two part epoxy. It is black...id like to have the strength of epoxy with the finish of wood...whats the best way to do that?

Take a look at the epoxy resins at U.S. Composites. It is tough as nails and is clear. I used the 635 medium resin on my transom. It's easy to work with and is very, very strong.

https://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

aeviaanah said:
When you say clear varnish do you mean spar urethane?
there are many types of varnish.
for sealing wood, you are better off with spar.
for protecting epoxy from UV damage, acrylic varnish will work better.

aeviaanah said:
many kinds of epoxy. the black epoxy you have probably has filling agents (like steel epoxy). what you need for sealing wood is laminating epoxy. it's clear and has low viscosity. it seeps into the wood grain, and cures to a nice wood stain color. you must coat this over with acrylic varnish to protect from long term UV exposure.

Mojo^ said:
aeviaanah said:

Take a look at the epoxy resins at U.S. Composites. It is tough as nails and is clear. I used the 635 medium resin on my transom. It's easy to work with and is very, very strong.

https://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
Thanks for the link!
Captain Ahab said:
The 2 part epoxy I used is clear
Oh ok, i wasnt aware they had it in clear.
J.P. said:
aeviaanah said:
When you say clear varnish do you mean spar urethane?
there are many types of varnish.
for sealing wood, you are better off with spar.
for protecting epoxy from UV damage, acrylic varnish will work better.

aeviaanah said:
many kinds of epoxy. the black epoxy you have probably has filling agents (like steel epoxy). what you need for sealing wood is laminating epoxy. it's clear and has low viscosity. it seeps into the wood grain, and cures to a nice wood stain color. you must coat this over with acrylic varnish to protect from long term UV exposure.
Thanks for the information, ill be sure to go and pick some up tomorrow.

Latest posts