This kind of annoys me....I wonder why this is?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear what you're saying but most items sound safety related - some lawyer probably told them to do it cuz if someone entered their 10 foot jon and then drowned in 3 foot seas in the middle of Lake Superior they would get sued for a trillion dollars.

Nah, I doubt that. Lawyers would make it more confusing.
Something like- failure to utilize a vessel sufficient for the aquatic tournament is solely the responsibility of the participant. Furthermore the participant shall not hold the organization, its members, sponsoring body, et al. responsible for any damage either accidential or otherwise by any member of such said organization, its members, sponsoring body, et al............

Once you enter specifics, your bound by them, lawyers dont like to be bound by anything. :mrgreen:

my .02

All boats must be propeller-driven, a minimum of 16 feet in length and have a rear deck (with a seat if requested).
a couple of years ago when the bassmaster classic was held on the alabama river. it was at flood stage at the time. the guy that won had a jet on his boat and ran all the way up the coosa the the base of jordan dam. if you want to see what he went over in his boat google coosa whitewater festival or moccasin gap. to me its easy to see a mechanical advantage that could trump fishing skill

Fishing platforms must be factory-installed equipment. No portable platforms may be used in tournament competition
the aftermarket elavated front decks and poling platforms common on flats boats would be a advantage in a sightfishing tourn.

And finally one more.....
Fuel may be carried only in factory-installed (built-in) fuel tanks. Any additional fuel used during the tournament day must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public and pumped through a hose with a nozzle.

i see this as a time penalty of sorts. preventing boats with bad range/high consumption from just taking as many gas cans as they need to make a long run.

i bet alot of these are from there event insurance.

200racing said:
my .02

All boats must be propeller-driven, a minimum of 16 feet in length and have a rear deck (with a seat if requested).
a couple of years ago when the bassmaster classic was held on the alabama river. it was at flood stage at the time. the guy that won had a jet on his boat and ran all the way up the coosa the the base of jordan dam. if you want to see what he went over in his boat google coosa whitewater festival or moccasin gap. to me its easy to see a mechanical advantage that could trump fishing skill

That bassmaster classic was won by Skeete Reese, in a Champion w/a prop driven Merc.

LonLB said:
I wanted to fish a couple BFL tournaments this next season as a boater. Seems, after double checking the rules, my boat isn't good enough since it's not a brand new Ranger costing 30-50K.

Some of the things disqualifying my boat.

This one I'm OK with since I'm right at 17'. I don't have a rear deck, (but that is simple to address, or is it?) Not allowing jet boats will exclude lots of boats on this site.

All boats must be equipped with wheel steering; no other steering device will be permitted.

This one excludes me.
There are SEVERAL BOATS being offered now, that are more than tournament capable that are Tiller operated boats. From Lund, Crestliner, Tuffy, Alumacraft, etc,etc.

Fishing platforms must be factory-installed equipment. No portable platforms may be used in tournament competition

Again I don't see the point. Heck, to read this literally, even if you have a glass bassboat, and you fab a front deck extension, this wouldn't be legal.

This rule, also prevents me from adding a drop in rear deck extension.

And finally one more.....
Fuel may be carried only in factory-installed (built-in) fuel tanks. Any additional fuel used during the tournament day must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public and pumped through a hose with a nozzle.

Prevents use of 6 or 12 gallon, portable tanks. Which I may end up using. Depends on if I break down, and just install a built in tank.

There are other boating related rules too. These are just some of the ones that would prevent a BUNCH of us from fishing out of our own boat in these tournaments.
Here in Michigan they do fish some big water-St Clair, Detroit River, but they also fish the Grand River.

Ya got to think outside the box; been in paid competition for many, many years,,, I will just say a few rules were more defined after I arrive to participate and or participated.

To old to be part of that crap anymore!! Kills the the enjoyment factor and the passion does not have the same value anymore. I seek those other cash competitions where general rules are implied and not adhered to. :wink:

Latest posts