15 HP 4-stroke on 12' Deep V?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I put a down payment for a 2012 Mercury 15 HP 4-stroke, you think it will be safe to put this motor on my Aluminum 12' Deep V?

I used the backyardboatbuilders pdf to figure the safe HP, I came up 20 HP. Not sure If weight will be an issue, the motor I am looking at is 135 lbs.

Similar models are rated at 10HP. I wont be riding with 3 people, only two of us and we are pretty light weight...LOL. What you think, should I swing it?

As I mentioned in your jack plate post, I'd be nervous. If you calculated the max HP to 20, I guess you should be fine then. What are the dimensions of your boat (bottom, beam, transom hieght)? My advice would be to fish out of the 12' for a bit, you'll probably realize that you would like a bigger boat, put your money into the next one.

I installed a brand new 15hp Honda four stroke on my 14 foot Gregor (13 1/2 foot). The first outing for this boat was in the high elevation Sierras for a week so because of the thin air, it was advised that a 15hp would be better than a 9.9hp. I noticed most similar sized boats up there used 8 to 9.9 hp motors so I guess it would have been okay with a smaller motor.

Another factor is that the two of us are on the older side so weight might be an issue. :shock:

nomowork said:
I installed a brand new 15hp Honda four stroke on my 14 foot Gregor (13 1/2 foot). The first outing for this boat was in the high elevation Sierras for a week so because of the thin air, it was advised that a 15hp would be better than a 9.9hp. I noticed most similar sized boats up there used 8 to 9.9 hp motors so I guess it would have been okay with a smaller motor.

Another factor is that the two of us are on the older side so weight might be an issue. :shock:
So, you would recommend a 9.9 or 8 over the 15?
Ictalurus said:
As I mentioned in your jack plate post, I'd be nervous. If you calculated the max HP to 20, I guess you should be fine then. What are the dimensions of your boat (bottom, beam, transom hieght)? My advice would be to fish out of the 12' for a bit, you'll probably realize that you would like a bigger boat, put your money into the next one.
Yea I thought I'd start a thread for this....might get more attention.

The length of the boat is 145" Transom at top is 58" and Transom height is 15". I know I want a larger boat but Ive purchased this one and would like to get a little use of of it. I'm new to the hobby and still need lots to buy...not quiet sure this is what I want to do, I have tons of hobbies and I think this small boat would be great to test the hobby. Also, it fits in my garage :) I do hear what you are saying and I would enjoy a larger boat but for not I think I will stick with this one.

I can't recommend any motor. In the older Johnson motors, the only difference between the 9.9 and 15hp two strokes were the size of the carbs which were interchangeable from what I read.

There is obviously going to be a performance difference in a higher horsepower motor. In my opinion, more horsepower is always better. My Gregor was rated for maximum 20hp and that's what the original motor was. I couldn't make it reliable so with an upcoming long fishing trip for a week, I opted to buy a brand new motor and anything above 15hp wasn't available for local pickup here. Price and weight was a consideration too. I am cheap and lifting that 15hp four stroke was a chore!

I have a 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke on my 12' V and it is plenty of engine. It weighs in at about 90 lbs, and I wouldn't want any more. The boat will plane and fly with two people in it. As a side issue, Tohatsu builds the Nissan and Mercury motors under 20 HP. Check out the price differences for the three identical motors.

nosticks said:
I have a 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke on my 12' V and it is plenty of engine. It weighs in at about 90 lbs, and I wouldn't want any more. The boat will plane and fly with two people in it. As a side issue, Tohatsu builds the Nissan and Mercury motors under 20 HP. Check out the price differences for the three identical motors.
I hear ya...I may end up goin with the 15, this way when i upgrade it will be there for a slightly larger boat.
nomowork said:
I can't recommend any motor. In the older Johnson motors, the only difference between the 9.9 and 15hp two strokes were the size of the carbs which were interchangeable from what I read.

There is obviously going to be a performance difference in a higher horsepower motor. In my opinion, more horsepower is always better. My Gregor was rated for maximum 20hp and that's what the original motor was. I couldn't make it reliable so with an upcoming long fishing trip for a week, I opted to buy a brand new motor and anything above 15hp wasn't available for local pickup here. Price and weight was a consideration too. I am cheap and lifting that 15hp four stroke was a chore!
Ya know I keep hearing yes and no pretty much equally, i dont know what to do!

aeviaanah said:

Do what you think is right and whatever your budget can afford. I opted for the Honda after reading some reviews of the different brands. It cost a few hundred more than the "other" brands but boating in some lakes in the Sierras makes me want the best I can afford as there are no tow services up there. The first run with the new Honda was in Grant Lake in the Sierras. The winds picked up really bad and we had to plow through the chop to get back to the ramp. I was glad to have a reliable and capable enough motor!

Remember Tim Allen in "Tool Time"? More power.................. :LOL2:

nomowork said:
aeviaanah said:

Do what you think is right and whatever your budget can afford. I opted for the Honda after reading some reviews of the different brands. It cost a few hundred more than the "other" brands but boating in some lakes in the Sierras makes me want the best I can afford as there are no tow services up there. The first run with the new Honda was in Grant Lake in the Sierras. The winds picked up really bad and we had to plow through the chop to get back to the ramp. I was glad to have a reliable and capable enough motor!

Remember Tim Allen in "Tool Time"? More power.................. :LOL2:
Haha yea I got a good visual of Tim allen there lol. The thing is, I have no clue what is right...first timer to the hobby!

Go with the 15! Its not too much motor!

I took a look at alumacrafts 12ft V and its rated for a 10hp, but then looking at the 14 footer its rated for 20hp, and the tracker v14 is rated for 25hp. Heck, one member on here (Alumacraft) has a 14 ft lund with a 40hp merc. So your right there in the middle. Your only other option is a 9.9hp. A 9.9 will work fine for your boat but a 15hp will work even better if you are planning on floor's, friends, coolers, etc.

Plus Later if you decide to get a 14 footer you will be able to use the 15 on that. Get some 9.9 stickers and your in business even on HP restricted lakes!

reedjj said:
Go with the 15! Its not too much motor!

I took a look at alumacrafts 12ft V and its rated for a 10hp, but then looking at the 14 footer its rated for 20hp, and the tracker v14 is rated for 25hp. Heck, one member on here (Alumacraft) has a 14 ft lund with a 40hp merc. So your right there in the middle. Your only other option is a 9.9hp. A 9.9 will work fine for your boat but a 15hp will work even better if you are planning on floor's, friends, coolers, etc.

Plus Later if you decide to get a 14 footer you will be able to use the 15 on that. Get some 9.9 stickers and your in business even on HP restricted lakes!
Hey good idea! Lol...I decided to go with the 15hp thanks!

Latest posts