removal of center seat from alumacraft 1448

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistex

Reaction score
this is a 2006 boat with 21" sides and many ribs inside that go from about 2/3rds the way up the sides across the bottom and up the other side. the seat has a dry storage well with a hatch cover.

does this boat need the center seat for structual integrity? or is it just as strong w/o the center seat?

wistex

Alumacraft boats are pretty sturdy. Of the major manufacturer riveted boats they are made of the the thickest alum .073 and they have big ribs that go up the sides.

I had a 1542 and really wanted to remove the center seat. I bought it with the intention of cutting it out. I bought the boat new and just couldn't bring myself to do it. LOL. You should be fine!

If look at the rib just to the rear of the seat and the one just in front of it, the area that the seat is in isn't quite big enough to put another rib in and keep the rib spacing even. But the gap is a little bigger than the rest of the gaps between ribs.

I would do it! I think the extra floor space and not having to deal with stepping/tripping over that useless livewell/storage area would be well worth it.

thanks for the advisory. wonder what would be best to fill all the rivet holes?

My boat has had both the front and rear seats removed. So far, no problems. I take it easy on it though and have only run my 8 HP so far. You can fill the rivet holes with rivets, nuts/bolts, or JB Weld. Good luck.

Latest posts